logging with goats

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sanhestar
    Participant

if they are solely bottle raised without contact to other goats I add probios for the first weeks to help development of rumen bacteria (they normally pass from mother to kid when the mother cleans them after birth)

grey
    Participant

Just an idea: goats don’t necessarily need another goat for a companion. They aren’t very bigoted when it comes to their friends. I have one wether who buddied up with our dog for several months till we got more goats. Another of my wethers really enjoys the company of the horses.

I think the main thing to remember is that most of them require a companion at all times. If you have two goats and you take one out and leave the other at home, the goat that goes with you will probably be pretty content… because he has you for company. The one left at home, however, will probably NOT be happy. Now you are up to three goats!

An unhappy goat is a LOUD goat, and one determined to rejoin his buddies. Goats are tremendous jumpers and can even do ninja-like manouvers such as bouncing off one wall in order to leap over an adjacent one. They can and will climb mesh fences. They will endure the zap of a hot fence to drag themselves under a low wire. About the only way to keep a goat in his enclosure is to make sure he is content there.

All that being said, I love my goats. One of my wethers is a pack goat and the other is in harness training. My goal is to get both of them going in harness and find or make a small garden plow and cultivator scaled for the goats to pull. I have found a few places that are able to make me a collar for my goats.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.