Logging Workshop in Central VT?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brad Johnson
    Participant

Last December we left our small farm in Randolph Center, VT and moved up to Northfield, VT to a 100 acre woodlot. Our house build is under way and we have a lot on our plates here at home with the new property and with life in general. But, I am thinking of putting together a fall workshop here on the property.

Before getting to specifics, here is some basic info on our woodlot. This lot is somewhat unique in this area, as we live in the land of sugar maples, and our lot has next to no hard maple. However, the gravelly, well-drained soil does grow some tremendous white pines, as well as spruce/fir, hemlock, lots of soft maple, as well as a few other pockets of mixed hardwoods. This lot has been harvested twice in the last 30 years, both times with horses and small equipment (by Bob Capobianco and myself). We have a good management plan in place and the land is enrolled under the state’s Current Use program.

I want to gauge interest amongst the community for coming to attend a one day, or possibly multi-day, workshop. Topics I am thinking of include:
    1. Big picture – how to put together a long-term management plan with a forester that meets a multitude of goals including including ecology, finances, recreation, wildlife management, invasives management, and aesthetics
    2. Road layout and management on a large lot – what, how, and where to maximize goals
    3. Harvest techniques for large diameter wood using horse powered tools – we have a lot of very big pines that need to be harvested at some point; also thinking of discussing marketing possibilities for larger pine

I am also open to other topics but those ones jump right to mind as I am dealing with all of this right now. In addition to my team, I think I could pull together some other local horse loggers for a day or two. Are the folks out there who would be interested in attending such an event? Please let me know. Thanks!
    -Brad

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.