Look what I found!!!

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries Look what I found!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

I was looking for a book yesterday and came across an old (1996) copy of SFJ’s Farm Romance and Adventure. It was a short lived publication featuring writing from subscribers that tended toward expansion on those more “romantic” aspects of our craft.

On the page with letters I found the first one authored by Donn Hewes, followed closely by one from me. Hopefully the pdf will attach…

Carl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carl Russell

I should have typed 1999…

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Interesting to read about you guys way back when. Carl, you are a great writer. I always enjoy reading your posts and unique perspective you bring to this work.

Cheers.

George

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Those letters really are markers of turning points in my life. Carl’s letter describes much of how I feel today with an ever deepening relationship with these animals. Thanks Carl, See you soon, Donn

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

Thanks for sharing Carl. Good call Donn, now your SFJ collection is complete and a hay babe to boot 🙂 I think that when we first met you were living in a tent, does the photo above mean that you have up graded your DAPFD living quarters?

KMichelle
    Participant

Oh good, so now when my mom bristles at my mention of living in a tent when I start my homestead… I can just tell her that’s what all the reputable teamsters do. At least the horses have a barn!

Carl Russell

Michelle, during the winter 1989-90 I built a hovel for the horses in the woods where I was working and stayed in a wall tent, carried water, hay, and grain and food for me…. lived and breathed horses,logs, and fire for about a month…… I can’t say it should be a requirement, but it sure puts things into perspective…..and no one will ever be able to take that away from you…..

Carl

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Carl,
    …Luckily, I have killed many animals, and it took very little time to put her out of her misery… This ability to dispatch animals quickly and mercifully is duty entrusted to those who work with or have close contact with animals in out daily lives. I have been thinking about this lately because, once again, I witnessed a badly bungled attempt to put down an animal that finally came to its intended end, but only after a great deal of needless suffering. Life resists and mocks those who mistakenly believe it will give in easily.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.