Looking for an experienced logger

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Looking for an experienced logger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Goranson Farm
    Participant

I’m looking for an experienced teamster/logger who would be willing to take under their wing a green teamster and their bombproof belgian mare.
    After purchasing Annie this spring we have cultivated and hayed sporadically on my parents farm in Maine. While I feel confident in our ability to work together in the woods I’m primarily looking to pick up a few tricks of the trade and make a bit of money to pay off this horse and potentially purchase a teammate.

This summer, Annie and I did a little twitching. Annie stood wonderfully while I fumbled with the chains and eased right into the heavy loads. She tromped right through the brush without encouragement. She definitely had experience logging. Annie gets along great with other horses. She is rarely the antagonist but holds her place within the herd.

I grew up on my parents farm in Dresden Maine, and plan to continue farming upon graduating from Bennington College this spring. Due to school, I will only be able to work from January into the middle of February.

Things I’m looking for:
    A teacher/mentor
    Moderate wage (totally negotiable) and board. I’m looking to start really paying for with Annie.
    Transportation for Annie from Bennington VT and board for her while logging.
    The opportunity to work Annie consistently.

I will provide:
    Prior draft horse logging and chainsaw experience
    An upbeat positive attitude
    Avid quick learner
    My own equipment and gear
    An extremely mellow and well broke horse with obvious logging experience.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Carl-
    Not sure if we have met officially, but I have been to your parents farm in Dresden many times. I managed the farm at Chewonki for several years and am now in central VT logging and farming with a team of horses. I do take a winter apprentice, and as of now do not anyone lined up for this winter. Currently I have more logging work than I can get done – I am turning work away. I work with Bob Capobianco, who has a team and a 45 hp tractor with winch. We are a mixed power operation, but 90% or more of the work at the stump is done with the horses.

If this sounds interesting to you, get back in touch with me. That window of time would be fine for me and I have an extra stall in the barn for an additional horse. Don’t have hay but there is plenty around locally at the moment. We could talk about other details.
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Carl-
    Got your message but can’t retrieve your number on my phone. Please call and leave phone number, as I don’t text. Thanks.
    -Brad

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Carl-
    I have looked further at the job for this winter, and I need to talk to you by email or phone about the details. The long and short of it is that I do not think this is a good lot for to start on with your mare, as the skids are steep and technical. That is to say, I cannot pay you to work with us. If you are interested in a traditional, unpaid internship, let’s talk. If you are set on generating income this winter with your horse, you may want to consider other options. Let’s talk some more about it – give me a call or email when you can. Thanks.
    -Brad

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Hi Brad,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner. School is really starting to pick up and I have very little free time. I’m going to have a moment this weekend to visit one of the potential logging sites here in Bennington. If it looks moderately flat I may try to forge out on my own. How to approach the insurance issue is a huge question mark for me at the moment as well as finding a descent trailer for less then 500 dollars. Are you going to be attending the Draft Animal Power Field Day the end of the month?

I’ll stay in touch. I wont know until this Sunday what my game plan may be.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Carl-
    I will be at the FD with my team. Come on out of the forestry demo on Sat AM and we can chat a bit.
    -Brad

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Brad,

I think I’m going to be spending the winter down in southern VT. Thanks for getting back to me. I’m sure I’ll have some questions to bounce off folks when I finally get out in the woods this December. Right now I have to resign myself to the world of Chem and Animal phys. See you in Barton.

carl

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.