Looking for tractor mounted Knuckle-boom for small yard machine….

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Looking for tractor mounted Knuckle-boom for small yard machine….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

I am contemplating getting a small loader like this to mount on the back of my JD 1010 Crawler, not 3pth, but flat-mounted like a backhoe….. anybody know of other makes or models, or ever tried such a set-up….

http://www.valbysales.com/newpage39.htm

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Carl:

Sorry no info, just a question: How do you envision using this?

George

Carl Russell

I am just thinking about making this piece of equipment more versatile. It’s mostly a fishing trip right now…. But obviously I am thinking about lifting logs. 😎

Carl

j.l.holt
    Participant

I can’t see why a good welding shop can’t fix you up. The hard part would be building the swing gear. You could use the old prentice stile ladder. You have the hydraulics

Carl Russell

I am not interested in building a loader. It’s clear that these small loaders are being built mostly for the small forwarders, and to some degree, trucks, but I am doing some market research on the makes and models to find prices and availability. If I have to, I will then consider building one……

Carl

j.l.holt
    Participant

I think they could build it as heavy as you need. I thought of turning a mounted back hoe into a loader for a dozer as you speak of.We each have our own ideas and shareing them is whats nice about this board.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

@Carl Russell 40265 wrote:

But obviously I am thinking about lifting logs. 😎

Carl

I figured that out thanks!:rolleyes: Are you thinking of a forwarder with a for your crawler with a wagon/trailer? What niche does this fill that your other logging tools don’t? I was very interested in possibly building a small forwarder to move logs long distances until I started using my scoot and bobsled to accomplish the same task. I

George

Michel Boulay
    Participant

Hi Carl,
    I’ve got a friend that has a small dozer like that, International I think not sure, he was setting it up to hook a back hoe on it and had some sort of hook up that he made. I’ll try and get some pics for you and discuss with him what your planning to do. He’s a welder by profession and a jack of all trades. He copied some specs from another log loader and build his own, pics there to. Give me a couple a days I’ll get back to you.

Mike

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Carl, I like the idea of the Valby loader or one like it, Anderson, Payuer or Hardy like. I have noticed with the excavator I run as a yard machine that you cannot stack your piles as high as a log loader can. The excavator is not designed for that. I can work up to about 8′ off the ground and with the Hardy could go way above that. Since you have the machine on the ground good idea to make ti do something additional. The older I get the less I want to stack wood. Also if there is only a small landing it sure is nice to have the ability to get wood up high.

Carl Russell

I’m not sure of all of the possible uses. I just don’t use this machine enough, and I don’t intend to use if for logging, so I probably won’t fix the winch. The power unit has a lot of potential beyond just building roads, site work, and pushing up logs. I think the loader would come in handy for many aspects of log handling, like loading trailers, or possibly sleds and wagons.

I think stockpiling firewood logs, or moving logs and slab wood at the saw mill would also be good uses. I know that these loaders also have attachments like post-hole augers, and manure paddles for handling compost, or other loose material. I can see moving other heavy objects like round bales, stones, etc.

But I don’t want to spend enough to pay for the whole forwarder just to get the loader….

Carl

Eli
    Participant

I have a skid steer loader with logering tracks and a log grapple it works great in the woods and has many other uses. I have a backhoe, log splitter. bale forks, brush hog, tree spade bucket, pallet forks and 3 material buckets. I want to build a post hole digger before spring. I would be lost without this machine. We used to put over 1000 hours a year on our skid steer. Eli

Scott G
    Participant

Carl,

All of these “smaller” loaders have a mounting plate below the turret (slew) that is intended to be bolted on or welded to a cross member. The three-point rigs just build off of that configuration. That said, if you were to just mount an HD platform off the butt-end of the dozer you would then be able to bolt on the mounting flange. The outriggers are usually mounted to the loader frame itself. So as long as you have enough of a stable platform to connect to and your hydraulic lines are capable of swapping spit, you should be good to go.

I’m all for mounting the loader on the tractor versus the trailer if that is going to be the way you normally run, dozer/trailer. I wish we had mounted the Farmi we have for the County on the back of the Valtra tractor but we didn’t, thanks to yours truly. I regret that decision… It would be so much handier to be able to just back up the tractor to work decks, construct machine piles (slash) etc.

Your dozer-mounted rig would sure be handy for sorting grade/species on the landing as well as loading trucks. Your trucking options would open up considerably as well, and be less expensive, if you don’t have to be joined at the hip with a self loader and pay trucker man to load them for you. Amortized over time, of course.

Hope all is well with you, Bro.

-S

irish
    Participant

they are used a lot here in Europe for short wood and fallowing on from Scot is the mounting method is general very simular. all use a horizontal plate to mount on to

here are a few
    botex are regarded as heavy lifters
    http://www.jaspwilson.co.uk/
    mowi
    http://www.ftgforest.com
    kesla i am condering a 204T
    http://www.kesla.com
    farma
    http://www.forsmw.com
    ps there are lots more to but it sound like there is going to be fabrication needed

Michel Boulay
    Participant

Hi Carl,
    I’ve got 12 kinds of log loaders, so you have quite a choice of loaders, plus 3 others from Irish that I don’t have.
    JMS, Berfor, Couture, Hardy, Majaco, Patu Kesla, Renaud Gravel, Payeur, Wallenstein, Woody, Farmi, Nokka.

Needless to say you are thinking hard at how your going to put this on your dozer. I myself was trying to imagine how that would work, weight ratio to dozer frame capacity, how close it can be fixed to the dozer,transport mode when not in use etc….

I’ve talked to my friend who was rigging his dozer to put a back hoe on his, he realized that the back hoe was pretty heavy for the dozer and wasn’t comfortable with it so didn’t leave the back hoe on the dozer. Back hoe was pretty big off of a tractor back hoe from Dept. of Transport, not the smaller kind for compact tractors. So just to say probably the size will be a factor, weight on dozer in transport mode, probably not a factor in loader use with legs taking the weight.
    We’ve got The Atlantic Farm Mechanization Show here the next three days, should be some loaders there I’ll have a look around and ask if they know anybody that have done such a hook up with there loader.
    And for what its worth here are some pics of what my friend did on his dozer for hooking up. I didn’t see the end result of the back hoe hooked to the dozer, not much but could give some idea of what you could do. Not sure how to add pics so here goes.

Mike

irish
    Participant

mike there a few that are new to me

Carl if you are direct mounting to the dozer you can subject it to fairly large torsional loads, tractors have steel added to reduce this, valtra tractors work with jake and kronos for there forestry spec tractors, jake make the frame for mounting the crane.
    jake
    http://en.jake.fi/6
    kronos
    http://www.kronos.fi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.