Loose wet manure diagnosis/Fly sores

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Loose wet manure diagnosis/Fly sores

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

My 4 year old gelding has had mostly non formed, extremely wet (as in usually some running down his legs) manure for the past 3-4 weeks. He seems in great health otherwise though: good weight (maybe a little chubby), sleek coat, good spirit. I believe it began before I had started to put them out on grass, or at the very start when they would have been out for an hour or 2 a day transitioning for a week or so. I was hoping it might work itself out but hasn’t. A couple weeks ago he was on strictly hay for 3 days and his manure was the same. Seemed a tad constipated today for the first time. Any ideas?

I also have a question about fly bites/sores. Both horses seem to have a few bites/sores under their jaw and seem to have been rubbing them as they’re missing some hair. They each have a similar sore in the middle of their chest. Anything I can do for this, either preventative or to help them heal or make it more comfortable?

thanks!

Carl Russell

Sounds like grass to me. My horses have shown similar since I turned them out…. although not as loose as you describe, just wet and green. I also see it more in one horse than the other. I think it has something to do with the amount of H2O this year. I only have them on grass at night, and let them have some hay in the barn during the days.

When they are just eating grass their manure can get pretty loose, which can contribute to some inflammation, which can create a bit of a chronic situation. Although there can be a problem “sandwiching” grass and hay, trapping gas, causing bloating and Cholic, some hay during periods when they are not on grass, provided they get adequate water, can help to slow down the digestion, and stiffen the bowels.

I also have seen the fly bites. Pretty typical site, as they can’t get the flies there very easily. That is another reason I only put my horses out at night, not many flies out then. (Also because I want them in to work with).

Carl

near horse
    Participant

I agree with Carl – runny loose stools are less of a concern if you’ve got your animals on pasture (especially on spring growing grass vs rank old stuff). Most likely grass stool – you even see it with cattle when you turn them out as well. Also, if your horses are eating and maintaining or putting on conditon it’s not likely anything to worry about (except too much of a good thing).

Fly strikes – we’re not seeing them yet out here but haven’t been warm enough for anything but black flys to emerge (ie no deer flys or horse flys yet). I only treat a bite if they’ve “worried it” to the point of being an open sore and then becomes a fly attractant. I forget the name of the ointment you can apply to keep the flys away from the wound but it’s pretty common stuff in most feed stores. Doesn’t sound like you’re there yet.

jac
    Participant

Stress may be another factor worth looking at.. We have 2 geldings that usually do the wagon work. The old black horse is over 20 now and has always been the underdog to the younger horse.. When out at grass he is fine because he can get away to his own space or if he is turned out with the mares but when stabled they are next door and the old horses dung goes looser ?? mabey a connection ??…
    John

I smear some “Swat” under my horses chin where the flies like to bite. Seems to sooth the bites that are there and keep the flies from biting there any more.

A friend has a horse that seems to get excessively loose stool when first put on grass in the spring. Enough that she uses some diaper rash ointment (Balmex I think) to avoid abrasion problems.

near horse
    Participant

@Dan Buczala 27508 wrote:

I smear some “Swat” under my horses chin ……

THAT’S the stuff!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.