major decision

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses major decision

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

As most of you on here know I run full size Clydes. I have for years but recently it has become apparant that they are not the most practical of horses in a wet climate like what I have here. The CPL issue has become unbearable so the decision has been made to shift breeds.. The North Swedish is really interesting to me.. smaller granted ,around 15 hands and mabey 650kg but far more efficient food converters and by all accounts strong pullers. I expect to use my existing equipment.. I blame Simon Lenihan for this.. he has a colt and thinks he is the dogs dooh dahs..
    John

jen judkins
    Participant

A totally appropriate decision, IMHO. Picking a horse is like picking a car (or any other useful item)…you pick what works best for your situation. You see a lot of subarus in these part and for very good reason…they are good in the snow. Horses with CPL ought to live where the weather and ground stays dry 90% of the time. Good luck. Being a swede myself, I’m with Simon…

Marshall
    Participant

I know it is hard parting with old friends, but if they have health issues and can’t work when you need them thta thats not good either. I am thinking of finding a new home for a couple of the haflingers because they have been nothing more than a pasture ornament for the past year. Part of me says let them go and another part says keep them. I have never heard of a North Swedish before. If they are common to the area there must be good reason. Good luck.

jac
    Participant

Thanks Jen.. will keep you all posted.. Marshall its good to hear you again.. yea its sure going to be a wrench to say good by.. the Swedish draft is not common over here but the British breed societies have wasted most of our draft horses thru indescriminate breeding for years.. europe on the other hand has a rigid series of tests for breeding stock which revolves round actually doing work.. britain has no such regime.. John

Big Horses
    Participant

😮 Nonono…say it isn’t so!!! Actually, I can see your point John…. hate to, but I can see it. Wish we were close enough to help you with a dispersal of the Clydes! (Like WE need more!!)
    John

jac
    Participant

Its like Jen said John…. CPL really needs a dry climate and the way this weather is changing we are in for more wet summers as well as winters and that just makes it worse.. it really is breaking me up to let them go but watching good horses go down with it after the age of 10 or 12 is just too much.. funnily the black strain seem to show the least symptoms.. old Tyde has virtually no sign and he is 20 plus !! go figure… John

mitchmaine
    Participant

hey john, sounds like a tough choice given your pride in your beautiful clydes. sorry you have to make it. my grandmother would say all things turn out for the best so good luck there. i have this large full bodied short legged mare that doesn’t match any horse in the state, but she reminds me daily not to underestimate her. best of luck with your little horses. mitch

dominiquer60

Best of luck with the change John, its a hard thing to give up something that you love so much, but if they don’t suit your climate then so be it. Small horses still have big hearts and are easier to harness, best of luck with the switch.

jac
    Participant

Thanks to you both Mitch an Erika..I am puting together a trip to Sweden in January. Simon Lenihan is looking to buy a mare so we will try and get 2.. will keep you all posted with fotos hopefully..John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.