making Mules!

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

My three year old donkey has had a tough year. Uvitis left him blind in one eye, The mange he came with is slowly responding to lime sulfur treatment. He has had a lot of pasture time and it has improved his physical condition and attitude. Finally it all came together this week, he decided he was ready to breed a Suffolk mare. No breeding stanchion or restrains. Just wrapped up her tail, cleaned her up a little, and led them to a little down hill slope. Breeding in hand with a little help from my wife. Two days in a row so far. he seems to like the early morning. Donn

J-L
    Participant

Kind of a morning guy myself! Suffolk mules sound very interesting Donn. How big is your mare and what size mule are you shooting for? I have always wondered about Suffolks to cross for mules. Interesting.

karl t pfister
    Participant

Hay Donn Good luck , guess I have always liked the classic black Percheron cross Mules . Glad to hear that the boy has recovered from all his maladies and is clearing feeling up to the job ! !

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hey Karl, You just wait; we will be working on the classic black Percheron mule real soon! I have seen some that were bay, man were they nice. I wanted a big mule and it is all ways hard to find a Jack with the right size to make a big mule. Eddie came from Kentucky and he is about 15.1 hands and at least 800#. I expect him to fill out over 15.2 and 1000#, he could even be a little heavier than that. he is a red donkey with white points, but a little darker than they sometimes want to make the light colored Belgian mules. My Suffolk is very broad horse, about 16.2 and maybe 1800# to 2000#. They should make a really good, big mule.

bivol
    Participant

Hi folks!
    i’m also interested in breeding mules (and hinnies!), but for now i’ll have to settle for asking questions…

this may be beginner stuff, but….

i’d like to know if your mare/donkey was raised to be a mule-breeder, or is s/he just your regular mare/donkey?

question explanation: in mule breeding

– mares are reluctant to be bred by donkeys, so it is considered that mule producing mares:
    1. shouldn’t be humped by a stallion before they have a go with a donkey, or otherwise they’re reluctant to breed from him
    2. that mares dont like donkeys if they before had anything to do with stallions.
    3. that mares have to have their mane and tails cut short, or else they don’t allow the donkey to hump them.

– donkeys:
    they have to be raised around mares to wanting to hump them…

in books they all say this stuff in necessary, but i dunno….

what’s your experiences, any of that true?

or, you can post me a link to a thread dealing with these issues

thanks!
    Marko

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

@bivol 29620 wrote:

Hi folks!
    i’m also interested in breeding mules (and hinnies!), but for now i’ll have to settle for asking questions…

this may be beginner stuff, but….

i’d like to know if your mare/donkey was raised to be a mule-breeder, or is s/he just your regular mare/donkey?

question explanation: in mule breeding

– mares are reluctant to be bred by donkeys, so it is considered that mule producing mares:
    1. shouldn’t be humped by a stallion before they have a go with a donkey, or otherwise they’re reluctant to breed from him
    2. that mares dont like donkeys if they before had anything to do with stallions.
    3. that mares have to have their mane and tails cut short, or else they don’t allow the donkey to hump them.

– donkeys:
    they have to be raised around mares to wanting to hump them…

in books they all say this stuff in necessary, but i dunno….

what’s your experiences, any of that true?

or, you can post me a link to a thread dealing with these issues

thanks!
    Marko

Contact ADMS – they are probably the best American source for all things on breeding donkeys/mules. http://www.lovelongears.com

bivol
    Participant

ok, thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Donkey stallions generally mate with anything in fur (or acrylic fur fabric!) but horse stallions are more fussy. This means that most donkey stallions are used to breed both donkeys and mules but if you want to raise a horse to sire hinnies, you put him in with a herd of donkey mares at the time he’s reaching puberty (about 18 months) so he thinks these are the “correct” mares for him. In Spain, such stallions are called “donkey horses”. If all else fails use AI. The most important thing to remember when breeding mules is that the donkey and horse need to be compatible. Don’t try using a Poitou jack on a TB mare. It only produces a very ugly mule. For a light mare use a light, elegant jack (Cypriot donkeys are ideal for breeding with Arab-type horses, for example). Poitous are made to cross only with heavy horses. As long as the jack is of reasonable size, the mule should equal or slightly exceed its mother’s height when mature (this is at 5 years).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.