Manure Spreader Renovation

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Manure Spreader Renovation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

I picked up a manure spreader which seems to be in relatively good shape . It is a Massey Harris, but I’m not sure what model it is. I have ordered a manual from the Small Farmer’s Journal for an MH model 8 or 8R. Some things that need doing to make this operational are:

• Source a beater chain. I have removed another beater chain which appears to be the same size, but different length. I will bring this to a local farm parts store to hopefully get a match.
    • Weld on the seat.
    • Install new bed – I plan on using 1” tamarack.
    • Overall lubrication, etc.

One concern I have is that if and when I have this operational, I don’t like the idea of floating around on the seat without anything to brace myself against if my boys get jumpy and need to be reigned in. My thought is to weld up something that I could at least brace my feet against if necessary. Another overall concern is that the renovation needs to be done right. I have had spreaders brake down behind a tractor. It might be a hassle, but it is not dangerous like it might be with horses. I want to be able to concentrate on safe, effective driving of my team without having to worry about a wheel falling off.

Regarding this renovation, I have some questions:

• Anyone know what model it is?
    • Thoughts on the aforementioned foot brace.
    • Source for parts. There is one cast iron housing that holds a beater bar.
    • Anyone had any luck stick welding cast iron (I know you need a special rod).
    • General advice?

Johnny B, I would take you up on your offer of renovation guidance and subsequent documentation except, by necessity, I plan on doing this a little at a time. Between milking 2x daily, cheese processing, general chores, and marketing it is hard to carve out a weekend to dedicate to this renovation. Perhaps I can get as far as I can and have you inspect / direct what’s next when and if and when you have the time. I am in Bakersfield, VT (north of Burlington 45 minutes).

Thanks in advance for any or all input.

George

john plowden
    Participant

Two questions – Is the bed chain in really good condition – and have you thought about using “Trex” decking for the bed? It won’t ever rot – Try B.W. Macnair for parts –
    John

Carl Russell
    Does’ Leap;1294 wrote:
    ……One concern I have is that if and when I have this operational, I don’t like the idea of floating around on the seat without anything to brace myself against if my boys get jumpy and need to be reigned in. My thought is to weld up something that I could at least brace my feet against if necessary. Another overall concern is that the renovation needs to be done right. I have had spreaders brake down behind a tractor. It might be a hassle, but it is not dangerous like it might be with horses. I want to be able to concentrate on safe, effective driving of my team without having to worry about a wheel falling off……

Does’ Leap;1294 wrote:
    George, I have rebuilt an old manure spreader, tractor drawn that I haul behind a forecart, and it looks like you’re headed in the right direction.

I would suggest that you pay close attention to your hesitations. There are always uncertainties, and safety is only a function of the risks you are willing to take, but if there is any question in your mind that a mishap may be a catalyst for a disaster then spread with the tractor.

This does not diminish your valid concern to rebuild the spreader right. I am only urging you to keep a clear focus on two completely different factors of the enterprise.

Carl

416Jonny
    Participant

First, I would love to come help you. Since you’re not that far from Burlington, it wouldn’t be a big deal at all!

Second, Carl is right about your safety concerns. If you’re worried about your animals getting out of control, you’d better decide how you’re going to stay safe. A foot board for stability is a good idea. I think the old timey ideas of safety had to do with being able to ditch the ride before you go down with it. When I was plowing with Erik, a couple of times the plow would hook hard into the ground on a turn and flip over. It wasn’t dangerous since you’re only moving at maybe 2-3 mph and you’re only sitting 2 feet (not even) off the ground. I would say have a foot board and if you want a good seat, leave off the sides or have very short sides.

The chains that drive the machine can be built for it. If you can find an older set that’s supposed to go on it, then rock it out. But you can build a chain as well. Take your chain, loop it around where it’s supposed to go, mark the length and dissamble it at that length. Bear in mind that the chains are supposed to hang down a certain amount in order to engage when the drive lever is dropped. I can definetly help you with this. The loops can be heated by torch, bent into and out of position for reassembly.

From the look of the picture, it seems like a nice project. As John just remarked, if the wood in the bed is good, then a poly liner of some sort would be a nice idea. Easy to replace when the time comes.

Tell ya what, send me your contact info and next time I come home I’ll get ahold of you and we can take a look at it. Get a plan together. Get an idea and chip away at the thing.

They are such simple machines, you can’t really do much more than adjust and replace items. Or paint it, for that matter.

You mentioned quickly a cast iron housing, is there anything wrong with it that requires welding? Welding cast iron is a challenge and is a job for some one who know’s what they are doing. The iron has to be heated to a certain amount, welded with nickel rod, done in a certain manner, all sorts of things. If the case is cracked and leaks fluid, there are other options. JB Weld is fantastic for these applications. The case doesn’t come under any heat, only minor flexing and can be cleaned, patched and painted in very little time.

Let me know if you’d like my help!

Jonny B.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Thanks all for the responses. In answer to questions and concerns:

• the bed chain is solid.
    • I have the seat and just need to weld it on.
    • I didn’t mean to imply that I am expecting a wreck if something were to brake down, simply that I would like to reduce the likelihood that something like that would happen by doing this correctly. In terms of having something to brace my feet against, I remember on a safety post a while back that someone had a wreck on a spreader in part b/c they had nothing to brace themselves against to assert the necessary pressure when their horses spooked. You know the saying, “an ounce of prevention………..”
    • Johnny B: I will email you directions to our place and would very much appreciate your help / expertise.
    Kristin
    Participant

It was probably me talking about my spreader wreck a while back and I do blame it partly on the fact that there was nothing to brace against. Also not having the lines dropped down on a horse that needed it.

One lesson we learned with the spreader was to not overload it. Some of our fields are pretty far from the compost pile so it was tempting to pile too much heavy stuff in, which would cause a breakdown. I think we’ve finally got it into our heads that it takes longer to fix a breakdown than it does to take more, smaller loads.

The last bit of snow is melting here and I can’t wait to get out and spread compost!

-Kristin

Iron Rose
    Participant

I have had fair luck welding cast iron . I try to tack the peices together and preheat them in the forge to dull red(if you don’t have a forge a torch with a rosebud tip will work but slower). Then weld with either cast iron rod or nickle alloy rod. As soon as its welded bring back up the dull red color and cover with coals and walk away wait till completely cool. If you try to weld cast cold it will break again right next to the weld.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Mechanical mastermind and draftanimalpower member Jonny B spent the day at my farm today helping me fix the spreader. Aside from taking apart front wheels and repacking them with grease, our biggest challenge was freeing up the beater bars which were seized with decades of recalcitrant rust. With lots of cussin’, several cans of cans of “PB Blaster”, and a lot of persuasion we finally broke them loose (pictured in the attachment is Jonny using a 10 foot “persuader” for leverage). After putting on a new beater chain, we dragged the empty spreader behind the tractor and it worked like a dream.

For those of you who didn’t see Jonny’s previous post, he is willing to help those in need with renovation of horse drawn equipment. He is a wealth of knowledge and great company and I highly recommend those in need to take him up on his offer.

Thanks Jonny!

Drummond Fraser
    Participant

Well done Jonny B! What a great example of community in action.

cxb100
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.