Mature team of Shorthorn Oxen

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Buy/Sell Livestock Mature team of Shorthorn Oxen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Crabapple Farm
    Participant

I want to see if anyone has any interest in an older team of Shorthorns that I haven’t been working much. They’ve been out to pasture all summer with the beef herd, but I did do some light logging with them last winter. For longer moves with the beef I will tie the oxen together with baling twine and pick up a twig or fiber rod and lead the herd by driving them where I want. While that is sort of useful, it doesn’t really justify keeping them around at this point.
    I’m not opposed to retiring them to the freezer, but my freezers are full up with beef and we’ve got more coming. Sending them to the auction just feels disrespectful. And I think they still have a couple years left of useful work, which would of course be better.
    They are easily 2000lbs each, 10 years old but no signs of decline yet (they haven’t been working much). For beef, I figure they are worth around $2500 for the team, but I will consider any sincere offer. Yoke and lessons can be available.
    Located in Western Mass.
    -Tevis
    crabapplefarm (at) verizon (dot) net

Baystatetom
    Participant

I’d be interested in an 11″ yoke if you have one.
    bluedogforestry@comcast.net
    ~Tom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.