McCormick #6 Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mac
    Participant

Hey Guys:
    I’m new here and just want to say that this is a great forum. Now for my question. I have an old McD #6, and the flywheel and drive shaft are frozen up, as is the lift mechanism. Any thoughts on getting this thing working again? It does roll, by the way. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mac

near horse
    Participant

Hey Mac,

Did you look in the gear box to see if it’s an issue in there? That would be my first step. Then spray both flywheel end and gearbox end w/ “Blaster” rust breaking lubricant. Eventually you’ll remove the gears from the gearbox and then try to turn the flywheel. That’s a little start.

Good luck and keep posting results.

Mac
    Participant

@near horse 21472 wrote:

Hey Mac,

Did you look in the gear box to see if it’s an issue in there? That would be my first step. Then spray both flywheel end and gearbox end w/ “Blaster” rust breaking lubricant. Eventually you’ll remove the gears from the gearbox and then try to turn the flywheel. That’s a little start.

Good luck and keep posting results.

Geoff,
    Thanks for the help. I have it soaking right now in the “Blaster”. The gearbox is clean, and I have a manual on the way. Also, The small loop on the bar lift arm is broken off. Any ideas there? Other than that its a good mower.
    Mac

Mac
    Participant

UPDATE!
    Geoff, your advice really helped. I have the drive shaft turning today. The next thing on the adjenda is to get the lift arm functioning. Thanks for the help!
    Mac

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

It might be easier than you think to buy a replacement part for the broken one. Check with BW Mcnair. They advertise in the SFJ.

Mac
    Participant

Don:
    Thanks for the advice. But actually I have taken the lift arm to my shop and fabricated a part to replace the broken loop. As of today it is painted and waiting on shafts. Yes, I said shafts. Again guys, thanks for all your help. I would post pics but SOMEBODY left the camara on the boat and now I don’t know where it went.
    Regards,
    Mac

Jay
    Participant

Some one recently showed me a couple of 6s one with the tool box on the right and the other with it on the left (where the pole usually is). That was a new one for me. They can be shifted back and forth. Jay

Mac
    Participant

@Jay 21593 wrote:

Some one recently showed me a couple of 6s one with the tool box on the right and the other with it on the left (where the pole usually is). That was a new one for me. They can be shifted back and forth. Jay

Really? This is a new one on me. I know that on mine the toolbox is on the right, but I just looked and there IS a spot to hinge the lid! Learn something new every day! Thanks for the tidbit there.
    Mac

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.