Measuring the Success of DAPNet

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Community Measuring the Success of DAPNet

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dominiquer60

As a Not for Profit organization with an educational base, it is difficult to measure the impact of our organization. In person we are a regional group, but online (here and on facebook) we reach international levels of impact. It doesn’t bother me that there is no quantitative way to point at numbers and say see we are successful. But there are stories that I hear and the life that I live everyday, that give me proof that after 10 year together, WE are helping each other, perpetuating and growing our culture, and building community.

Last night we discussed what we might do to “Celebrate 10 Years Together.” We decided that a moment of gratitude from the BOD following by an “open mic” of gratitude and stories from our members would be simple and have a big impact on each other. I was doing chores at the time and Sam chimes in with his gratitude for the DAPNet movement, “It is where I met the love of my life.”

I look at my daily life, it is full of what my parents told me was impossible unless I joined an Amish Church 🙂 I consider my life a DAPNet success.

Here is a success story from facebook that you “forum only” folks may enjoy. This woman was on the fence about selling a “problem horse.” After several folks gave lots of sound advice, she thought about their “problem relationship” and worked to rebuild what had broken. Here is her success story.
    “Thanks DAPNet for your encouragements! I’ve decided not to sell Miss and keep working. I think it was like knitting: I used to knit a scarf and found out there was a knot in it and instead of throwing it away, decided to undo the thread and start again. So for a few days, I just brought her inside, put the harness on her and let her there so, she can see that the harness is not threatening. Then I walk with her outside for a few steps, a bit of oat, few steps, a bit of oat… Then, an other day I brought her to the cultivator and came back, and I did that an other time and then, last Saturday, I’ve been able to work my fields with her and Bill and finally sow my carrots and beets, plant my onions and first crucifers. Working with horses is really rewarding. I know something can happen again, but because I’ve been able to overcome the problem, I know I can overcome it again if something else happen.”

Sharing how DAPNet has assisted our community members is important even though it is hard to quantify. We apply for a good number of grants, sharing our successes has an impact on how we demonstrate what we accomplish as an organization.

Share your story on how DAPNet and the pre-DAPNet Northeast Animal-Power Field Days has impacted your life with draft animal power. Post below, but be sure to save a good story for the “Open Mic of Gratitude” at the 2017 Draft Animal Power Field Days, where we will “Celebrate 10 Years Togther,” together.

-Erika

• This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by dominiquer60.
    Ron
    Participant

Sometimes being a draft animal enthusiasm is a pretty lonely experience. When things go wrong with a hitch or an animal takes sick it is easy to question what and why we do what we do but the people of DAPNet are there. I look forward to finding out each day the struggles and rewards that others overcome in working with draft animals. I read DAPNet each day as CS Lewis would have said if he was a draft animal “nut”, “Too know I am not alone.”
    Reading the forum helps me to tackle problems I have long thought about but not having enough input and stimulus kept undone. I have for example long wondered if there was a better way to break and train colts, or better biting systems, improved machinery or harness, but I have mined the back posts and questions of the forum for a field day of information.
    I believe that good science and engineering will make us better draft horse farmers and loggers. The connections I have found to European horse people on the forum have shown that to be true.
    I don’t think I have one event to share but I have a daily banquet of good horse senses and youthful enthusiasm keeping me going all here on the DAPNet forum. Thank you for your hard work and patience

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.