Milk Can Agitator

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Don told me about the can cooler he built out of a chest freezer and I think Im going that route. I would like to find some sort of agitator for the milk cans though. I have heard that there are some that mount onto a standard milk can. At this point I would rather buy something if it is available vs. reengineering it myself.

Anybody know where to source these?

Jared

Wamoo
    Participant

I’ve never seen an electric agitator for milk cans… I’ve only ever seen milk cans retrofitted into butter churns by adding an electric motor on top of the lid, and paddles under it. Those spin much too fast for agitation, but I would think you could easily use that for inspiration to build your own agitator set-up. You’d need a gearmotor to slow things down. Most regular bulk tank agitator RPM are about 30-36 RPM. an

I bought my milk cans from Holmco, and they are American made. They are stainless steel, Grade A, even have the “right” shape, just like traditional tinned steel milk cans. When I bought them, I also got a stainless steel milk can hand agitator. It’s a perforated stainless disc welded perpendicular to a long stainless rod with a handle on the other end.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Jared, My Amish Nnighbors are using an agitator / cooler that fits in the can. It is run off well water (no power). It is pretty slick and would be a great way to cool the milk before the can cooler. I will try to find more on these. D

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

That would be great, I have seen some diagrams of these in old extension articles but I have yet to see one. If you talk to your neighbors and they know where to buy some of these please let me know. Freshening season is fast approaching.

Jared

Wamoo
    Participant

MuleManDonn~ Please post what you find out here… I’m interested in this too.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I am working on it. Donn

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

In Talking to my friend Ashlee Kleinhammer from North Country Creamery; this is where she got the “in can Cooler” Levi M. Shetler, 5344 County Route 10, Heuvelton, NY 13654.

I believe this is an Amish business as no phone, or email. I believe they sell cans as well. She said the cooler worked great and she would recommend them. Couldn’t remember the price.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I have been meaning to call Ashlee about some heifers, I will ask her about the can coolers too,
    Thanks for the lead Don.

Jared

carl ny
    Participant

I wonder if that’s the same Levi Shetler that makes harnesses. I know where he lives but don’t know the address. He lives right up there in the Heuvelton-Depyster area. Nice guy, does good work and very inexpensive.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Carl do you live in the area? It is a 4 hour drive for me. If you do live near by would you mind checking in to see if he still has milk can agitators?

Jared

carl ny
    Participant

That’s about 60 or 70 miles away. I don’t get up that direction very often.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I talked to ashlee and she loves hers, she is going to send me some pics or maybe a video I will pass on the info as I get it.

Jared

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Ashlee sent me some pictures and a video. I will try to post them here. I looked up the phone number for the machine shop and no one answered. I could see a “street view” on google maps (it is crazy what the internet can do) and it looked like it may be a plain folks machine shop. I will try to send a letter to Levi first, as per Ashlee’s suggestions.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Video didn’t work. I will have to figure that out later.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.