Mole colts

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

We’re looking at a pair of Belgian mares. They have mule colts on their sides. The man selling the mares has indicated that he’d be interested in keeping the mule colts, which is fine because we’re not really interested in the colts. However, If we decide to buy these mares, we’d like to get them here and put them to work asap. I’m thinking of asking the seller if he’d take a little off the asking price if we halter break, break to lead and wean the colts. Then he can have them back when weaned. The one of the colts is about a month old, the other is about a week old.

We have no experience with mules. We’re wondering what we need to keep in mind if we do this. We realize that mules are different than horses, we’re looking for advice on halter breaking and breaking to lead these mule colts.

Thanks for any help.

Lane Linnenkohl

ps I of course meant “mule” colts. The page won’t let me edit the title.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Lane, In my limited experience of one mule born on my farm, I would say treat them like any other horse colt. Make the training short, fun, and don’t rush them. They are usually very inquisitive, friendly, and fun to be around. I think my foal was about six months old the first time I ponied him along side his mother while she worked. Good luck. Donn

Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

We’ve decided to buy the mares, but leave them where they are until the colts are weaned. Overall, this turned out to be the best option.

Thanks for the advice,

Lane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.