More fun at the Fair

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries More fun at the Fair

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dominiquer60

Geoff,
    Of course “You can’t get there from here” really comes into play in Northern New England. There are many different ways to go but figure 115 miles or about 3 hours between Fryeburg and Tunbridge. Fryeburg goes from Oct.3-10, if you can take the time to stop there it is totally worth it, you will not find anything like it in the west. If you go to their website and act fast you may be able to get a camp site, there are something in the area of 3,000 campsites, and it is $24 a night to stay there. It does take a couple days to take in the details if you have never seen such before. Here is the link to camping at Fryeburg http://www.fryeburgfair.com/Camping/Camping.html. Good luck and enjoy your trip to the fullest.

Erika

john plowden
    Participant

Geoff – give me a PM – I live in Stow – right next to Fryebug and have free camping space – John

Robin
    Participant

Since I started this thread, I thought I’d jump back in with some Fair observations. I attended 4 this season. Unusual for me to go to that many.
    Each had a specific reason. Keep in mind, this area is not a rural as it once was.
    Our fair season is July-late August.The first I attended was Ulster County Fair in New Paltz, NY. This is run by the Fair Board. They do a great job.
    This is a fairly small fair with something for everyone. The main attraction for me this year was to see the Gatlan Bros., nice concert, included in the Fair admission fee, all carnival ride are included in the admission fee also. Great for parents.
    There, also, was a draft horse competition (always poorly attended by spectators), tractor pull, etc. These are mostly adult competitions.
    Other things of interest was the sheep, goat, pig barns, wool spinning building-adults running the program…including a few men. They were originally from Europe. Had to help their Mom spin for clothes.
    The grounds here are very well kept, clean, enough rest rooms, plenty to do for a day.
    Sussex County Fair, NJ had an oxen pull. That is the reason I went. This is the only fair in the local area with an oxen pull. The pullers came from Ct. It was fairly well attended by spectators. The pull was one of the best in years.
    This happend to be the last day of the fair so some barn animals had already left for home. I did get to see the alpaca agility competition. This was all 4-Hers. Good for them!
    Other events here was a truck pull/kids game tent with educational games-ag. related. Very interesting. There was a landscaping building,elephant & camel rides, pig races, a wolf exhibit, then the usual rabbits, cattle, ducks, chickens.
    This is a nice NJ State Fair, very clean. Extra costs for the carnival rides.
    Always plenty of food at all the fairs.
    Dutchess County Fair, NY (The area of Chelsea Clinton wedding) This fair is a mini Freyburg. No oxen, but they do have bull riding event, draft horse events, English riding events. Most horse events are poorly attended by the public.
    This fair has plenty of cattle shows, mostly adults,plenty of farmers to talk with. There is an anitque farm equipment building, with folks to explain the equipment. Some equipment is running.
    A wool spinning barn, a birthing barn for the public to watch animals actually give birth. There were several calves, pigs, a draft horse with a young one,
    goats. Some already gave birth others waiting. This barn is very active with the public walking in and out.
    One fun thing is the “stick pony rodeo”, basically kids on a stick horse, barrel racing. This always keeps the adults laughing….kids have a great time.
    There is a milking barn, certain times of day, of course.
    The poultry barn here had many varieties of foul, including several GEESE,
    chicks being hatched, some animals could be handled with the supervision of adults.
    There is also a Canine tent, dog agility, dog shows, water dog contest, plus the adoption groups.
    One big item at this fair is the Milk Shakes from the 4-H booth. Over 20,000 are sold during the fair. Always a long line here.
    All carnival rides here are an extra fee. So is the big name entertainment. Here I saw Montgomery Gentry show. I paid $28.00 for very good seats.
    All of the fairs mentioned, you can get close to the animals, pet them, talk to folks in the barns.
    This fair is very clean, good entertainmnet, something for everyone.
    Notice, I did not mention Orange County fair, my home county. This fair is very run down, dirty, mostly a carnival. Unfortunately, the local folks don’t go here anymore.
    I did bring my oxen to the Otisville Fair. See the first thread. I did not have a chance to walk around, but all comments were folks liked it, small, clean, local folks. Not too much carnival stuff.
    The Freyburg, Me. fair is the Daddy of them All. I have been there several years in a row, stayed 4-5 days and still have not seen it all. Some folks tell me it has changed in the past few years. Don’t know!
    Hope to meet some of you in Tunbridge.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.