Moving forward

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

Two items:

Who wants to post an announcement on RHFP, WH, and this site regarding the new DAPFI subforum? and…

It sounds as though there are multiple major topics that warrant concurrent work. I propose that we set up seperate subgroups for these and the working groups can interact with the main group.

Topics that seem to keep reoccurring are…

1) Structure of the group

2) Networking; web site, hardcopy newsletter, etc..

3) Marketing and exposure

4) Insurance

5) Value adding & value recognition

Our numbers are small so I would anticipate most of us would be involved in more than one working group. I do, however, think it is imperative to have a seperate group lead for each topic/effort. Spreading the wealth as it were…

I’ll sleep on this and weigh in some more tommorow. You folks please do the same.

Take care,
    Scott

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I nominate Scott as the Chairman/President, Carl as the vice President or secretary.

I volunteer myself to head the value adding committee.

I think we should have an international rep. to seek the participation of our other practitioners located world wide. I nominate Simon Lenihan for that Committee head.

Here we go….

TaylorJohnson
    Participant

Jason this looks good to me, I would say that Tim Carrol could be the man for marketing and exposure. Taylor Johnson

lancek
    Participant

sounds good to me too

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I will volunteer to post on the RH Front Porch.

Would someone like to author the text of the announcement? What should we say?

Thanks woodsmen,

Scott G
    Participant

Jason,
    Why don’t you write it up. I am sure you will put a good face on it. First to volunteer means being first on the plate….

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I’ll do it but I want to run it by the core first. More later.

Carl Russell

I will work on Networking, and I’ll accept being nominated as Sec. not VP.

Carl

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Here is what I have come up with so far, please edit or comment as you see fit.

Hello Rural Heritage Front Porch folks,

I’ve volunteered to introduce a fledgling international organization to the general draft animal community. This group is described in purpose and mission below.
    This new effort has been developed to this point with the help of a core group of serious animal powered forestry folks that include: Jason Rutledge, Va., Carl Russell, VT, Scott Golden, CO., Simon Lenihan, UK., Jean Leo Dugast., France, Jason Cruse, NZ., Ian Snider, NC., Ben Sumner, Va.,add names fill in the blanks if you think it is appropriate).

We introduce this group to invite participation. We currently have several projects yet to be undertaken, but thought some of the general community of interest would like to be a part of it from the beginning. Anyone seriously interested is invited to visit http://www.draftanimalpower.com and go to the (fill in the blank page)

Let us know what you think. It is time to put all the minds, hands and hearts of animal powered forestry folks on the same page. We welcome your interest.

“Draft Animal Powered Forestry, International” (DAPFI)

Mission Statement

“To promote the use of draft animal powered timber harvesting methods that support positive impact forest management”

Primary Goals

1) “To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and advocacy.”

2) “To serve as a networking, clearinghouse and contact information for individuals and organizations involved in animal powered forestry throughout the world.”

3) ”To advance an ecological perspective of forest management, based on the use of draft animals, and other low impact/low input strategies.”

4) ”Work with researchers to study and publish ecological benefits of animal logging.”

john plowden
    Participant

Nice work – I think either all or none of the dap behind the scenes group should be included –
    John

lancek
    Participant

Hey jason you can add my name tim kendall brunswick mo and I think it looks good from here

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Carl, would you help with original list of folks on the private working group, I looked for it here but can’t find it.

I agree with John, everybody should be on the list, that’s why I put (fill in the blank) hoping someone would fill in the names, but I guess the secretary will do that now that we have asked him directly.

If everyone agrees with the post after we put all the names on it – we will put it out there.

thanks folks

john plowden
    Participant

Thank you Jason – Looks like the first big snow is coming for Wed Thurs then cold cold for the weekend -Should help to move some wood on a cooperative harvest with 3 other woodsmen –
    John

Carl Russell

This is the list as I have it, Carl

Rick Alger-NH, Tim Carroll-(?), Cousin Jack (Ralph?)-UK, Gregg Caudell-WA, Jason Cruze-NZ(recent member), Jean-Leo Dugast-France(hasn’t joined DAP yet), Scott Golden-CO, Wes Gustafson-WA, Ben Harris-WY(never responded), Taylor Johnson-WI, Tim Kendall-MO, Simon Lenihan-UK, Jim Ostergard-ME, John Plowden-ME, Dan Rasmussen-MN, Jason Rutledge-VA, Carl Russell-VT, Ian Snider-NC(never responded), Ben Sumner-VA(never responded), Ronnie Tucker-TN(never responded).

TaylorJohnson
    Participant

Carl ,
    Thanks for including me but I am in WI ,, GO PACK. Taylor Johnson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.