Mower bar for McCormick #9

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Mower bar for McCormick #9

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jpaviemore
    Participant

Hi All-I’ve got a McCormick #9 with a 6′ bar set up for lespideza (so it’s got really tight spacing on the guards/teeth) that I’d like to replace with a 5′ general purpose bar. I’d be happy to trade with somebody, or if anybody knows where I might get a bar and such?

Thanks!
    Jared

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Is the Lespideza bar set up on two inch centers? It would be interesting to see [pictures of that. You can buy bars complete with guards and parts from a number of places. Shipping will be the expensive part. Do you live near any large Amish communities? Most have a mower shop. You can check with BW Macknair (central PA). Or Master Equipment (OH). Why switch from six feet to five?

Jay
    Participant

I have a couple of 5′ bars. Also a 6′. All are stripped down and clean, ready to be rebuilt. Can rebuild also. As Donn said, why switch to a 5′?

jpaviemore
    Participant

Hey All–I’ll get some pictures up later on today of the current bar. I’m worried that the mower will be a bit too much for our team of Haflingers is all–I’m in Arkansas and we just cut grass hay (mixed bermuda, clover, vetch, etc), so I had planned on shifting around the guards anyhow and thought I’d go ahead and shift down a size. But–I’m happy to take advice from folks who know better!

Thanks!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

A 5′ bar is not a bad idea for Haflingers. They can also pull a 6′ bar, but hills or long hours might be a little tough. I have found in some circumstances folks have soured these good horses by constantly giving them equipment built for bigger horses just because they were willing. I try not to abuse their natural good nature and work ethic. I believe you can find a bar closer to you, but I would look for an Amish community near you and ask them where the closest mower shop is. I am sure Master equipment will send you a bar.

jpaviemore
    Participant

I think you’re right, Donn. We’ve been talking with a few folks out on the West Coast about using Haflingers and that’s been a consistent piece of advice (regarding using size-appropriate equipment). Our nearest Amish community is up in Seymour, Missouri, so it’s a bit of a hike for us. There’s a strong Mennonite community over in Oklahoma that might have something.

Thanks!

jpaviemore
    Participant

Hi All–here’s a picture or two of the mower bar.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jay
    Participant

Impressive looking. Does anyone have experience using such a bar?

Mike Rock
    Participant

Man, that thing has more teeth than a Cheshire Cat!

jpaviemore
    Participant

I know! It’s interesting, for sure. I’ve never used a bar like this before, so I’m curious alongside Jay to see if anybody knows more about these.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.