mules,horses which is better

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules mules,horses which is better

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    TBigLug
    Participant

@OldKat 3062 wrote:

Even more troubling was the team that were being driven in plow harness; LOOK MA’ … NO BRAKES! Scary.

Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Being a horse person with no mule experience I have a biased opinion towards horses. But, as to the longevity of one or the other I offer this food for thought. On our farm we had two horses. Duke is 26 and Dick was 28 (he passed last winter). In their early and mid 20’s both of these horses could still pull a plow and do all the work that was asked of them. Duke is still around (breaking colts on my uncle’s farm). If a mule can work into it’s 20’s then I would say there is no appreciable difference in their work life expectancy.

Just my 2 cents.

John

J-L
    Participant

The most common use for mules where I live is under a pack saddle. I’ve seen more sr. citizen mules than horses still going on long trips. I know of more than a few in their mid 30’s still going strong, and one at 40 who is ‘semi retired’. It seems a more common occurence with mules than horses, but I don’t know by how much.

amanda07
    Participant

You must understand your mule. I agree that a mule is just about impossible to force but they may be coerced. Sensitive and intelligent, mules are forgiving when they have someone they can trust in; just get it right and be prepared to negotiate.

Gulo
    Participant

Which do you like better, personally? We only have so much room for animals here. If you’re really attracted to an animal, and it will work well for the job, pick that animal over one that may work better but has no appeal to you.

If this is important to you. I realize that to some people it is not. My personal preference, having to pay for and feed and care for everything regardless, is to have a crew of critters that beautifies the place (in my mind) as well as does the job. That i can look out at over my coffee and think, “Man, that is a sight!” Once you’ve filled your stomach, what fills the spirit? Beauty feeds the soul.

amanda07
    Participant

@Gulo 5024 wrote:

Which do you like better, personally? We only have so much room for animals here. If you’re really attracted to an animal, and it will work well for the job, pick that animal over one that may work better but has no appeal to you.

If this is important to you. I realize that to some people it is not. My personal preference, having to pay for and feed and care for everything regardless, is to have a crew of critters that beautifies the place (in my mind) as well as does the job. That i can look out at over my coffee and think, “Man, that is a sight!” Once you’ve filled your stomach, what fills the spirit? Beauty feeds the soul.

You’re thinking mules then

Gulo
    Participant

@amanda07 5041 wrote:

You’re thinking mules then

I like the big, really dark mules with the tan noses and highlights. Are those percheron mules? Some very handsome animals, no doubt.

amanda07
    Participant

Agreed! they are just so good for the eyes!! The young man that helps out with the heavy stuff around here is a ‘poitivin’ mule; 175 cm of velvet and bearskin. Poitivins here (we’re in France) are rare now, though there is an increasing interest in preserving the race. This mule is the only one I’ve seen working in the south east.

J-L
    Participant

Amanda07, is there any way you could post a picture of that mule? I’ve seen pictures of a few of the Poitou(sp?) donkeys from over there. They were supposed to make the best draft mules in the world. I’ve heard of some jacks in my area that have some of this blood in them, and have seen only one but he doesn’t show the charicteristics too much.
    Aren’t they supposed to throw more bone and gentler dispositions? Interesting subject.
    Gulo, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the looks of a well made mule as much as that of a horse. Pretty is as pretty does. Enough cliche’s.

amanda07
    Participant

I realised that I didn’t have a digital pic of him! Well, that’s changed. He’s watching the Monty Carlo go by, which between the cars and the helicopters, is very noisy and makes it difficult to get a shot between bouts of harrassment from his field mate. He is very big boned and comes in at around 600kg. As for character; We had a lot of re training to do when he arrived three years ago. He was originally dressed for working in the vineyards but after some unfortunate management came to us as ‘dangerous’. Some Aconite drops and consistent handling, although I wouldn’t say he’s docile he is trustworthy, hardworking and very tactile. I’m not sure what the link is, if there is one, between size and docility but the phrase ‘gentle giant’ is common, isn’t it.. Perhaps it’s something to do with the stance that we take in relation to size? Not so clever just to stand in front of the best part of a tonne hungry for its dinner! Anyone know anything more on the size and docility front?

manesntails
    Participant

@bivol 3047 wrote:

actually they have enough in common to be able to compare some things.

things like vet expences, food expences, purchase price, and productive life are all very measurable things. and most of them can be given in money value, and by simple calculation most can be said to go in favour of mule. most.
    whom you can handle better is another thing.

mules are tougher- harder hooves, greater endurance, less health problems, live longer productive lives.
    mules can do and survive what would kill most horses. there is enough evidence of their superiority throughout history. the preferance of men for mules over horses in extreme working conditions (extreme weather, tough working conditions, irregular food and water, long working hours) is evidential through history.
    i’ll just say: 20-mule team, military mule wagons, g. washington,…

horses can be forced to do something- mules cannot. if you use force on a mule, he wont forget and he won’t forgive you. furthermore, once abused mule can be ruined for life, meaning it will get back at you.unlike horses which can be made to work. and forgive you beating them.

ofcourse, not all mules are fit to be good working animals. by that i mean their personality, which can be ruined by abuse. you have to watch out when buying mules, they may be drugged to be calmer.
    when buying your first team, buy older animals. the rule is the younger (or inexperienced) the teamster, the older the animals. older mules actually have considerable benifits: they are trained well, and know the routine of work.
    they are out of puberty, are calmer.
    mules 18-20+ can still do good work for farm.

mathemathically, if you have enough patience and humor, and some luck, mules are better. you just get more service for your money. they work more, cost less in vet, if you can find a common language and persuade them to cooperate. if you can make them cooperate.

I’m right here with bivol!:D

Everything he said here is true.

I love my Millie, my Molly mule and if I had been raised around mules instead of horses, I’d never riden or driven a horse. Horses are just not as loving as mules.Mules are so much more friendly and they much more loving personalities.

I’m a girl, I like to love on my animals. I can’t help it.

Mules love attention and are more like dogs. I go in the run-in to muck and when I turn around, there’s my Millie looking at me like; “Are we doin’ sumpin. Huh? Huh?” “Wanna pet me? How about I just hang out with ya? Huh. Huh?” Wherever I go, whatever I’m doing, she’s right there waiting for me.

She actually balks when I go to put her BACK IN the field with her pasturemate:eek:
    She’d rather be with ME.:)

Horses, for the most part, would rather hang with another horse. Yes, they come over and hang with you for a while but as soon as they’re bored with ya off they go with whomever they’re out with.

Mules are so much better than horses, IMHO.

Albert
    Participant

@Carl Russell 84 wrote:

I’ve got to say that there is no difference between any choice of species or breed, only differences in personal preference, or intended use. You can listen to, or read endless stories from proponents of one or another, and they will never answer the question, because it can’t be answered. Decide what your going to do for work, learn it, and figure out how draft animal power will fit into your objective. I have a picture circa 1930ish of a New England hillside farmer spreading manure with a Morgan horse hitched beside a Jersey bull. He knew what he needed to do and hitched’em up. Nice to see the threads developing. Carl

Hi I am new to this site. I’m English living in Spain. I have worked (ploughed)mules, ridden and driven mules here. It’s takem me a long time to convert to a horse. I never rode till I came here 13 years ago! Think that’s a little different to most people? I have found the Gypsy Horse to be a great alternative to my mule! I have trained 10 Spanish pack mules mules in 10 years to saddle. A mules ride is kinda side to side, and a horse is back and forth! Both are good for getting the weight off ha! A GH will walk all day a one speed. Their feet are big, but not huge, and self clean! I got my GH to ride and drive! Albert. Ps I’m 64 years old. Malaga & Granada Spain.

Robernson
    Participant

Well, I’ll get into this to….

Per my neighbor’s opinion if you can work with mules then you should. They are thrifty,friendly,and hardy.

If you can’t work mules then work horses. They can’t pull as hard or work all day like mules but they can work well for short periods of time.

~~R

jac
    Participant

Hey Robernson sounds like you could end up with a mule team yet:) You guys are so lucky that you can create draft mules so easily. We have no mammoth jacks over here and I’d like to try a Clyde mule… By the way if you have a hard time choosing between horses or mules ?? flip a coin !!! Its not so flipant {forgive the pun} as it sounds.. If you flip a coin your heart will tell you which side you really want to come up heads before it hits the deck and you dont even have to check:D good luck with your search and dont forget the fotos…
    John

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.