My next cart

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I am preparing to start cutting steel for my next cart in the next few days. I plan to mix two unlikely purposes. The first is a dump cart. The second is a log arch. I have plans to be able to use it as a simple forecart; but that won’t be it’s best use as it will have a higher platform for that than I prefer.

For the dump cart I plan to build a removable “V” shaped box that sits over the axle. The rear gate is nearly vertical and can easily be opened with a trip lever even with a little pressure on it. This box will be five or six feet wide and high enough so horses can back up to a pile and make it higher; when they dump on to it.

Remove the dump box and the basic log arch is there. The rear frame will be above the wheels in height. Hooks will be added similar to the Barden cart with slip hooks in the center and grab hooks on the sides. A separate deck and rail assembly can be bolted on where the dump box came off.

4″ channel will make a tongue pocket for a slide in; slide out tongue. Because of the high frame, the tongue attachment point will be up. The evener attachment will drop down a few inches below the tongue. I will try to attach a drawing or two in the next few days.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

I am curious about this new cart keep us posted on the progression. I hope o make a basic arch this winter so I am looking for any good ideas.

back-forty
    Participant

Don,
    I was looking at the photos that you have posted of your pto cart with the Honda engine and it appears that the clutch mechanism is simply moving the pto shaft itself via a lever as opposed to a tensioner/idler pulley. Is this correct? I am working on installing a 20 hp Honda onto my pioneer forecart this winter and was planning to have the unit removable and attach to two of the seat davits that are on the cart. Any additional information that you would be willing to provide on the pulley sizes and the clutch system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Yes, the whole PTO shaft pivots and that tightens the belts. This was fabricated in an Amish shop and has worked really well. getting pulley sizes right would be really important with a cart like this. I would start with the output shaft speed of the motor at a decent working RPM. The figure out pulley sizes from there to get the desired pto speed.

Here are a couple photos of my new cart before it is finished. It is painted and ready for a tongue, floor, and evener (wheels!) It has grabs on each side for chain hooks, and a draw bar will drop in the center. A seat can be added when it is not being used for logging. The real goal is a dump cart that will be added just above the frame. Still working out the details of that.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

It is slightly more finished now. still needs a seat and draw bar for summer use, but could pull a log today. I see some other slight modifications i will add for chain holders etc. The other photo is of an oil tank being modified for my new Dump attachment that will fit right on this cart. D

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

Nice work Donn.

George

carl ny
    Participant

Looks good but you might want a brace from where your chains hook, down to the front of the floor board. I think you might have a weak spot just above that lower gusset..JMHO.

Carl nny

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

carl NY, you might have a point. That is 2 x 2 by 3/16 tubing but the design still is weak right there. I sort of built it one purpose at a time; ie. I built the arch, then an opening for drawbar to slide in, then started adding to it for a seat bracket which will double as platform for my dump cart. All the triangular bracing of the arch and seat bracket could have been better served with a vertical leg up from the axle on each side. This would have created rectangles that would have supported the area you are talking about. I would rather not come forward with a brace if i can help it, keeping the foot and seating area clear. Thanks for the input. It has been siting there for a couple weeks and believe it or not I haven’t even hooked to it. so busy!

carl ny
    Participant

Donn,Straight up from the axle looks good, Maybe a small gusset in the front. Also maybe small gussets on the inside on the top for sideways stability. I’m a firm believer that it’s easier to do it when everything is straight than trying to straighten things out later.JMHO

carl nny

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I have been thinking the same thing today. It would be a lot nicer to add a couple pieces now rather than after I have kinked it. Interestingly the rectangles are very prominent in the Barden cart that I looked at a lot, but because I choose to move my hooks a little forward I didn’t see how I could still retain that aspect of the barden design. His hooks would be on the back side of the rectangle but my would be on the front side of the rectangle, but still benefiting from the shape.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

The new Cart is going back in the shop today! Chopping and moving parts. Making something multipurpose is hard to picture the interactions! I will keep you posted.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.