myler bits

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    josboy
    Participant

i want to know about myler bits….are they a good buy ? kinda spendy at $130. i see they are rigged where the curb chain sits high…right up under the cheek….anyone using the combo? and what lenght shanks did you choose?

Iron Rose
    Participant

I have one that I used on one of my logging horses. She was very aggresive and up on the bit. I had tried everything that I could think of from checks to lever bits, the more aggressive the bit the harder she fought. The Mylar bit was a improvement ,but not a cure just made her easier to drive. Used it on a draft mule that was quite head strong and worked great. If possible see if you can borrow one and try first .

dominiquer60

I have used Mylar bits on saddle horses with great success. A little retraining and the right bit can go a long way. They are better shaped to fit in a horses mouth and often have independent leverage action on each side. I know that the 6 up show hitch at my college swore by them, I know that they can make a big difference with some individual animals, not all. They are very pricey, I used to buy any that I found at garage sales, tack sales, ebay for a fair price knowing that I could easily find them homes among my saddle horse friends. Keep yours eyes peeled for a used one, or a sale of some sort. Before you buy one I do recommend you try them first, they come in all shapes and sizes, leveraged and not. I have seen them priced at $44 to $180, and just learned today that there are people that think nothing of buying a custom show bit for $300+, but they don’t do honest work like us for a living.

manesntails
    Participant

I’ve only used the Myler three piece snaffles for riding. I have heard the combo’s main “edge” is you can adjust it higher or lower in the mouth. Don’t know anything more than that and I have nothing that needs a complicated bit.

You might want to check Ebay for a used one.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Um, what’s a Mylar bit? And what makes them bring such high prices?

manesntails
    Participant

http://mylerbitsusa.com/bit_combo.shtml

Here’s the site and a page on the combo bits

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.