NAIS on steroids. HR 814, HB 875

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming NAIS on steroids. HR 814, HB 875

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Happy When Hitched
    Participant

Heads up! Reading my favorite political website, came across this diary:
    The New York Times misses a Monsanto coup over organic farming set in motion by Hillary Clinton

Aside from the slam on Hill’s Monsanto connection, it’s a treasure trove of alert!
    I’d quote more, but my computer is wonky and want to get this posted before it locks up.

HR 814 has been referred to committee.

HB 875 includes most of us, I think…….(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

Full text of bill.

I’m going to post this while I can. Will try to be back in comments with more info.

Happy When Hitched
    Participant

To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Federal Meat Inspection Act, the Poultry Products Inspection Act, and the Egg Products Inspection Act to improve the safety of food, meat, and poultry products through enhanced traceability, and for other purposes.

Get it? “Enhanced traceability”.

‘SEC. 414A. TRACEABILITY OF FOOD.

‘(a) Establishment of System- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this section, the Secretary shall establish a traceability system described in subsection (b) for all stages of manufacturing, processing, packaging, and distribution of food.

‘(b) Description of System- The traceability system required by subsection (a) shall require each article of food shipped in interstate commerce to be identified in a manner that enables the Secretary to retrieve the history, use, and location of the article through a recordkeeping and audit system or registered identification.

Full text 814.

Meat, polutry and egg products. Read ‘er and weep. Then contact your legislators. With particular attention to Rep. Diana DeGette [D, CO-1] and her 2 co-sponsers on 814, * Rep. Madeleine Bordallo [D, GU-0]
    * Rep. Rosa DeLauro [D, CT-3] * Rep. Jerrold Nadler [D, NY-8] and the House Ag Committee as well.

HR 875, brought to you by

Ms. DELAURO (for herself, Ms. ESHOO, Ms. DEGETTE, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. ENGEL, Ms. CASTOR of Florida, Mr. MURPHY of Connecticut, Ms. SUTTON, Mrs. LOWEY, Ms. SLAUGHTER, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. MCGOVERN, Ms. WASSERMAN SCHULTZ, Ms. HIRONO, Mr. GRIJALVA, Mr. SCHAUER, Mr. NADLER of New York, Mr. BISHOP of New York, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Mr. RYAN of Ohio, Ms. GIFFORDS, Mr. FILNER, Mr. HALL of New York, Ms. LEE of California, Ms. PINGREE of Maine, Ms. KAPTUR, Mr. BISHOP of Georgia, Ms. MOORE of Wisconsin, and Mr. DEFAZIO)

Now this one doesn’t get scary until you get down to definitions. This

The term ‘adulterated’ includes bearing or containing a contaminant that causes illness or death among sensitive populations………..(10) CONTAMINANT- The term ‘contaminant’ includes a bacterium, chemical, natural toxin or manufactured toxicant, virus, parasite, prion, physical hazard, or other human pathogen that when found on or in food can cause human illness, injury, or death.

could mean that they’re going to take all those nasty chemical cancer causing contaminants out of our food, huh?

But here’s another definition.

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

That’s you and me, buddy. Gotta post, curser is starting to act like a 5 year old broodmare off the range……

dominiquer60

It looks to me that the times are a changing, why create some new department and tracking systems when our government really can’t even afford to run basic services. We need to stop relying on and allowing the government to control our lives. I can see it is going to get worse before people start taking responsibility for themselves and make it better. So far I am not impressed with the “Change.” Of course I don’t listen to the news or watch TV, so my opinion is based on the fact that I see my fellow farmer/rural friends gearing up for a nose dive, that says it all for me.

This makes me want to go home and set up a booth at the local farmers’ markets and get more people involved with letting the government know where there place is, not in my pocket and not in my business.

Erika

Happy When Hitched
    Participant

@dominiquer60 6027 wrote:

….. get more people involved with letting the government know where there place is, not in my pocket and not in my business.

Erika

Whelp, that’s why I included the link. Hope all who see this will write their representatives…. Squeaky wheels and all that….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.