Neck collar on a goat?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    grey
    Participant

All the goat harnesses I’ve seen have been breastcollar style. The other day when I was trimming my goats’ feet, I noticed that one of my wethers in particular seems to have a really nice collar bed on his shoulder. Looks like a neck collar would lay there quite well.

With their cloven hooves, goats have tremendous traction. They run out of muscle before they break traction, whereas horses usually have muscle to spare once they finally limit out on traction. These goats have an incredible amount of pull for their weight. I’ve been thinking thoughts of goats plowing/cultivating the smaller parts of the garden where there is insufficient room to string out a full-sized draft horse, tugs and full-length plow beam and handles.

Anyone have any resources that mention neck collars for goats? Photos? Written accounts? Goat collars for sale? Given their horns, my goats would need collars that open at the top… latch-top or buckle top collars. Their necks are built more along the lines of a mini donkey’s neck – quite narrow. Think I’ll get out the T-squares and measure this one fellow for a collar.

sanhestar
    Participant

Hello,

check with the Harness Goat Society in UK. There are some people that are driving their goats with neck collars.

But would work only on hornless goats except you design a collar that can be opened.

http://www.harnessgoats.co.uk

grey
    Participant

Ah! Excellent! There are a lot of good photos on that site, including one of a fine large goat in harness, with a neck collar, hitched to a plow. The size of the moldboard on the plow makes me wonder if maybe the share is too large to actually do any plowing with that goat… maybe it’s just for demonstration purposes.

But several photos of goats with neck collars! Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.