Need Advice on different types of discs

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Need Advice on different types of discs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cherprit
    Participant

Hi,
    Since we don’t have any horse drawn progress days near here, can I get some opinions from you about discs? Specifically, which is better, with a tongue truck, or without? With a pole or without?

Thanks so much. This is for a team.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I have used a John Deere 14 blade disc for several years. It has a tongue truck but it just keeps the disc moving at the same angle and turning easier. I don’t use a tongue on it although I can see how one would fit in the large clevis that I have a double tree attached to. I suppose a tongue would work but if one was not traveling down any steep inclines I am not sure it is necessary. I will say that this device is hard on ones back and butt, particularly if the ground is rough after being plowed. We usually drag it lightly to level it before discing. It does a great job cutting crop residue and mixing the soil. I used ours in the garden this week and it is a sweet experience to hear the soil swoosh through the disc and be tilled to a fine seed bed. Ok that was bragging about not having many rock in the garden spot. Rocky ground will be hard to work with a disk. There is technique involved in using the tool. You have to overlap and basically hit one half of the disc width at a time and it will do a good job cutting crop residue, sod and soil into a a workable seed bed. We actually only disc our garden after an initial plowing of the old sod. The ground stay friable and well tilled through the use of the disc and a chain harrow for leveling. We actually hook a four foot section of chain harrow behind the disc on one side and finish it in a couple of passes.

Good Luck finding one. The best ones have zerk grease fittings and metal bushings instead of grease cups and wooden bushings. The disk blades shouldn’t be worn to different sizes although they can be replaced.

We pick them up at old farm auctions for around $50.00 or so in Appalachia.
    Sometimes you can get one from an antique dealer, but they usually want more since they are the only folks bidding against most horse farmers for this old machinery.

cherprit
    Participant

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate the thoughtful answer!

The Amish family I checked with here in Northern California said one that needs work would go for $800 and up……

They make a trip back east every now and then. I think even with the price of gas, they still turn a profit on the equipment they bring back.

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

I think one factor in the pole or not equation is the size of the field(s) you are disking and the type of tillage. For disking a reasonably sized field after plowing, you would normally make wide arcing turns in the field and don’t need a pole. However, if you are disking in a few rows of a crop between other rows of crop, then turning in the headland to disk back over rows, then having a tongue can improve maneuvering at the ends of the rows. I think a single gang adjustable angle disk with a fixed pole is ideal for the latter type of work (steers just like a forecart), whereas a double gang drag disk is great for whole-field disking.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.