New Cow Owner

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    connor83
    Participant

I have some questions.

-For one or two cows is it better to do wire fencing or is it okay to do barbed wire.
    -How much land is required for one or two cows.
    -Will two bulls be fine together no females.

let me try to answer this:
    -For one or two cows is it better to do wire fencing or is it okay to do barbed wire.
    Haven’t used barbed wire for a looong time; all our enclosures are electric fenced; if enough wood is available what about the old options? stone walls? thick hedges?
    -How much land is required for one or two cows.
    depends on what kind of land/what and how much feed grows there; we try not to graze things too short, recovers quicker that way; keep them company if possible!
    -Will two bulls be fine together no females.
    they will always be fine 😉 we have the trouble of rebuilding fences etc.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I will second some of what Charley said. We use portable electrified fence because it is easy cheap and it works. I try to rotate pastures daily and most of the time my fence isn’t even electrified because the animals are in the habit and they don’t test the fence.

Depending on the land and management you will need a minimum of 1 acre per cow and upwards of 10 acres per cow in poor conditions. It is also very hard to get the desired grazing effect with only a couple cows so you need to compensate with more land or supplemental feed.

In the northeastern US, If you have great ground and you rotate properly you can get away with the lower end of the spectrum. Larger herds and Professional grazers are able to push the limits.

If you would like some more specific resources on grazing let me know and I will pass them along.

Where are you located?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.