New England Teamster wanted for Paid Presentation to High School Students

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations New England Teamster wanted for Paid Presentation to High School Students

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

Hi Folks,
    I just received some grants funds to pay a teamster to visit the school that I work at and present your harvesting techniques to multiple classes, including Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, Building Trades, and Animal Science classes. We will present to approximately 60 students in 4 groups, approximately 60 minutes per group. The focus of each presentation can vary. I’d like to talk about comparative forest impacts and suitable draft animal powered forestry goals with the natural resources and ES classes, then discuss the life cycle of materials with the building trades class, and biology (Training?) of the draft animals with the animal science class. Presentation styles can vary, but hopefully it’s a mix of talking and demonstration. There is a lot of potential here.

Specifically, we want a teamster to come to our school and
    -Be present from 7:30am-4pm, with the potential to leave at 3pm if no students stay late.
    If possible we’d like you to do a site visit with the teachers before the presentation date.
    -Pull 6-12 logs from the woods, and present to students while doing so.
    Trees can be dropped on the day of presentation, or done before hand by our students
    Hardwood logs will be skidded to our sugar house
    Softwood logs will be skidded to a production sawmill 1/4 mile from school on flat easy trail
    These will be milled and returned to the school to be used in finishing our barn.
    -Present to students about how and why draft animal power is used in forestry. Present their equipment, describe their work, etc.

We have a large barn and space for working the animals, as well as barn space for them when they’re not in use. Animals can even stay overnight if that makes logistics easier. The school is in Langdon, NH.

Here’s a chance to be paid to talk about your favorite subject- you and your work.
    Contact me to talk about dates, and funds available.
    We’d like to plan this day for early or mid December, 2013.

Thank you
    Jay

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Jay-
    That sounds like a blast. I have done a lot of education in the woods with high school age kids, and I miss it now that I don’t do that much these days. I am crazy busy, but I think I could make time for this if you wanted me and my team. Please send more details and let’s think it over further. Thanks.
    -Brad

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Brad did an Awesome job, presenting to about 100 different high school students today, explaining everything from horse care to economics, environmental impacts, and techniques and strategies for being efficient, “as you have to be if you are going to be successful in any job.” There was a lot of interest from the students, and several volunteer drivers- first time teamsters.

I wanted to get a professional to come present to the students so that they’d get a credible, experienced, knowledgable source. Brad nailed it, and was great at communicating with the students.

The logs that were skidded to the nearby sawmill were cut on the school’s property and will return as board for use int he school’s barn for their agricultural program. Some of the students helping move logs today will nail those board in place come spring.

I hope to add some pictures soon. It was a great day for outreach to a LOT of future landowners/horse owners/ environmentalists/ at the very least consumers.

Thanks Brad!

dominiquer60

I am going to beat Jean to it 🙂

That is wicked awesome, it always pleases me to hear about connections between young people and draft animal power. Good work Jay and Brad!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.