New Idea Spreader

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment New Idea Spreader

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Baystatetom
    Participant

I just brought home a new treasure! A rotted out New Idea #10 manure Spreader. The wood is only enough there to say so, but the chains and mechanics appear to be in working order. Before I tackle the new wood project, (I might use trex decking on the floor) I need to find some rear tires. They are way to far gone to use, one has a 6′ rip in the sidewall and the other isn’t far behind. 7.20×24 Anybody know where I can price them out? Also wondering if I should try and convert it to Steel wheels on the back. I seam to see a lot of those old wheels around maybe it would be more cost effective?
    Thanks
    ~Tom

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Baystatetom.
    carl ny
    Participant

Go on the internet and check out Miller Tire and/or Tucker Tire. Should be about the best places and sent right to your door.

Carl nny

Baystatetom
    Participant

Thanks Carl! Although at $215 each plus shipping, then the cost of wood and nuts/bolts. Never mind lord knows how many hours of labor, I am thinking maybe I should just go out and buy a used tractor model in working order.

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

I’ve got a spreader skeleton at my place, Tom, if you want to scavenge the steel wheels off it. Don’t know if they’d fit. I do know they would need a patch welded in in the spot they’re rotted out from sitting too long.
    Not necessarily cheaper than an online source, but Mr Tire in Plainfield might be able to get them, which would save shipping. They’ve been able to quote me on other ag tires. There might be a place even closer to you, too.
    -Tevis

Baystatetom
    Participant

Thanks Tevis, I will stop by sometime and check it out. Maybe I can trade you some labor, if things ever slow down for me.
    ~Tom

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

The plastic decking would be nice, but I have also used marine grade plywood to good effect. Much cheaper.

Jay
    Participant

Tom, I have used the local Pete’s Tire barn here – across the river from Brattleboro for farm tires- they have good service and have treated me well on price as well (and they wrestle with the tire and tube). The man behind the desk is a farmer – nephew of a local butcher. Jay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.