New Page for Draft Animal Logging Association Working Group

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

Greetings. I have just created a new forum and an custom user group to address the issues of forming a draft animal logging association.

If you have received an e-mail about this post then you are part of the user group. I chose your names because you were part of the recent discussion. If you do not want to participate, please let me know, and I will take you off the list. Also if there are others who should be on the list let me know.

As of now the list in alphabetical order of user names is:

Biological Woodsman – Jason Rutledge
    Carl Russell
    Cedar River Horse Logging – Tim Carroll
    Cousin Jack –
    Gregg Caudell
    Iron Rose – Dan Rasmussen
    Jim Ostergard
    John Plowden
    Lancek –
    Rick Alger
    Scott G – Scott Golden
    Simon Lenihan
    Wes Gustafson

Users in this group will be the only ones who can see this forum. I have also set it so that each of us will receive an e-mail about each new post, so that we don’t have to keep visiting the site to make sure we haven’t missed something important.

Please post in this thread to acknowledge that you have access to this forum, then we can go from there.

Thanks, Carl

Carl Russell

Oh yeah, it is located under Associated Organizations, Sponsors, & Collaborators.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I would request we add Tim Carroll, Ben Harris, Ben Sumner and Ian Snider to this working group.

I am not sure Ben Sumner has joined DAP yet, but will check no that and Ian.

Thanks Carl, you bring new meaning to the term of being a seedy dude….seeds of culture….

Carl Russell

I overlooked Tim Carrol when listing. He is already here. I don’t recognize the other names from this forum, Jason.

cousin jack
    Participant

Message received, hello, to one and all, Ralph

i think the idea of opening a new organization is good. i think that setting it up as a c3 is much better than a 501c6. it gives you more options. it would be easier to shut down nah&mla and open a new one than try two transfer everything. we would need to follow more protocol two transfer.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Carl,

Ian and Ben are board members of HHFF and practitioners of restorative forestry. Since I am speaking for the 501c3 that we are, and probably have some authority in that regard, it is still a board run group and if three of the five board members are on this forum we have a quorum to participate legitimately, within the rules of that status.

Ben Harris is a HHFC Biological Woodsman practitioner that is doing similar work to Scott in Wyoming.

I will leave it up to them, they are both deeply involved and busy – as anyone on here understands well.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

lancek
    Participant

got your email carl and I am looking foward to helping out Tim Kendall

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

This is a cut copy and paste from Jean Leo Dugast in France. He is a photographer that sent us a beautiful book he published about horse logging in France a while back.

Bonjour,
    I would be happy to work with you on an International group of horse-loggers. In fact, in Europe people with animal power are already organized in an European group called FECTU (http://www.fectu.org).
    I’m definitely ready to help to get everybody together. I’ll get in touch with some people here in Europe to tell them about your call.
    There is a big meeting on animal power (a sort of Horse Progress Days) in Germany on 29th and 30th of August this year in the city of Detmold (http://www.pferdestark.org)
    Do you know that the British horse-loggers will organize a big meeting in 2012 ? (http://www.britishhorseloggers.org).
    Let’s keep in touch.

Jean-Léo DUGAST
    14, avenue de la Peupleraie. 72600 Mamers. France
    Tel : (33 2) 43 97 97 03
    E-mail : jeanleo.dugast@wanadoo.fr
    Blog : http://percheron-international.blogspot.com

Carl Russell

That sounds great. Let’s get Jean-Leo on this board.

Jason, I meant that I don’t know the DAP handles for the Bens and Ian. I need their member names before I can find them here.

Thanks, Carl

Rick Alger
    Participant

Message received.

simon lenihan
    Participant

I think that most horselogging associations in europe produce a quarterly newsletter, it would be a pity if NAHMlA was to cease production of its newsletter as i think all newsletters could then be grouped together to form a very good international newsletter.
    simon lenihan

lancek
    Participant

That sounds like a good idea!

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

BenSumner just joined today.

Ian was at the fiddler’s convention all weekend so he won’t be on the net until later.

Nice quotes from Charlie Finney on the BHL site and some good verbage at the German site too.

Simon,

NAHMLA is probably not going to produce another newsletter, according to the President’s message in an earlier post.

So a new newsletter will have to come out of the states. There are enough stories from the working group committee members to fill our several newsletters.

Are you a member of the British Horselogger’s Association? I recall you saying you hadn’t joined them yet. I haven’t been a member of NAHMLA for many years now. I read BHLA are planning a big event in 2012 in the UK.

I think this group should be representative and a benefit for all the folks involved in this work even if they aren’t members of this group or any other. It is the general message behind the work that needs to be promoted and the public educated about.

The membership fees would just be a way to generate funds to pay the cost of printing and postage.

I know how difficult it is to put out a hard copy newsletter and expensive. We have done the electronic versions recently but it has been a couple of years since a hard copy was produced. We have a regular mailing list of almost a thousand, mostly landowner’s.

We use a British fellow (in Blacksburg, VA.) that has a bulk mailing service that can do it for less than the stamps cost us and he checks the addresses to be sure they are good before the newsletter goes out and picks it up from the printers.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Ok, I feel dumb, again, Larry just suggested P&L means profits and losses….
    thanks DAP folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.