New video, Ox Logging–Fitting and Using a Single Yoke

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen New video, Ox Logging–Fitting and Using a Single Yoke

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Harrigan
    Participant

It seems like there has been a lot of discussion lately about yoking a single ox so I took my camera out today and tried to explain the basics of the yoke and brichen I have been using lately.

[video=youtube_share;aLqwf0dZvvs]http://youtu.be/aLqwf0dZvvs[/video]

Oxhill
    Participant

Excellent!

Does your brichen have a spider on top to hook your heel chains to when not in use?

bendube
    Participant

Thanks Tim!
    When you don’t have a cart or anything with shafts behind you, what is the advantage of the brichen over just a belly band with loops? Is it just helping to keep the yoke in place, or is there more?

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Andy, yes it does have a spider but I do not use is to carry my heel chains. I prefer to bring the heel chain back to the yoke and suspend it between the trace carrier and the yoke. That keeps it up high and snug. I usually just drop one end and drag the singletree with the other when I am not under load and I do not think there is much chance of catching the singletree on anything. Funny you should ask because I took a little video of that but left it out because I thought the video was getting too long. I just use the spider to keep track of the brichen straps when yoking and unyoking.

Ben, I have never used a belly band so I can’t say. Keeping the yoke in place is important, and as I mentioned to Andy, I like the trace carriers toward the back because I like to carry the traces high and tight between the carriers and the yoke when I am not under load.

superb! Thank you

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Elke and Anne, I am hoping this inspires a video response on yoking methods in Germany, Switzerland and related methods 😎

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.