New york emerald ash borer quarantine to be expanded

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Public Policy/Political Activism New york emerald ash borer quarantine to be expanded

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

[TABLE=”width: 575, align: center”]
    [TR]
    [TD=”class: head3, align: center”]Department of Agriculture & Markets News[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Tuesday, February 05, 2013
    518-457-0752
    Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov
    [HR][/HR][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD=”class: head3, align: center”]NEW YORK EMERALD ASH BORER QUARANTINE TO BE EXPANDED[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD=”class: head4, align: center”]22 Counties Added To State Quarantine[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens and New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (DAM) Commissioner Darrel J. Aubertine today announced that the state will propose a revision to its Emerald ash borer (EAB) quarantine order to include all of the State south of the New York State Thruway, and east to the state border, except for Rockland, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties and New York City.
    EAB is an invasive, exotic insect that quickly kills all ash trees once it becomes established in an area or community. It was first discovered in the U.S. in 2002 in Detroit, Michigan, and has since been found in 18 states.
    This invasive tree and forest pest has killed tens of millions of ash trees in areas where populations have become established. Especially hard hit have been communities which have lost thousands of mature street and park ash trees, often originally planted to replace stately elms killed 80 years ago by another invasive pest, Dutch elm disease. Costs to communities for removal and disposal of dead, dying and hazardous municipal trees, and their replacement is a challenge……..Click link to read more,

http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/AD/release.asp?ReleaseID=2564
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Carl

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Waiting for the hangman.

Scott G
    Participant

The wrong kind of disturbance…

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

The hangman may be SOL.
    Mark

Baystatetom
    Participant

Rumor has it they are going to include Berkshire County in Massachusetts so that it is a contiguous area. Luckily I rarely work in the Berkshires and most of my timber is sold to mills within my immediate area so the quarantine shouldn’t effect me much. The whole idea of losing another tree species from our forest is quite upsetting though.
    Thanks for posting this Carl.
    ~Tom

Marshall
    Participant

I hope the quarentine does more good than it did in Michigan. I am woking on clearing my front yard of all the ash trees that are dying. It’s going to look awful bare but at least I get free heat.

Baystatetom
    Participant

They announced today that all of Berkshire County Massachusetts is also under quarantine. Kind of foolish because parts of Hampshire and Hampden counties are much closer to the infected area then are the far ends of Berkshire County.
    ~Tom

Baystatetom
    Participant

Just heard it has been found in New Hampshire

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Is there a lot of ash up in that area?

Baystatetom
    Participant

Just read an article that says larva was found in Concord NH.  That is a long way from the infestations in NY, CT, and MA (3-4 hours drive).  My guess is it must be in between as well, we just have not found it yet.  Honestly our ash is in such poor health anyway it could be hard to tell.  The same article states that ash is 6% of NH forests, that is about what I would have guessed for Mass as well.

~Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.