Newbie here from Eastern North Carolina, USA

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Introductions Newbie here from Eastern North Carolina, USA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TheEquineFencer
    Participant

I found this site while looking for a “quick release” for use pulling a sled. I’ve got a light draft, Morgan X Percheron I ride and drive. About 1/2 the neighborhood around here drives. The next door neighbor was telling about some kind of latch you just step on to release the swingle tree from the sled. I’ve got build a small sled to get some wood out of the neighbors woods this winter as I can’t get a tractor into it without making a mess. If someone has a picture/print/drawing it would be helpful.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

First off, Welcome!

I am unfamiliar with the latch you are talking about but I would caution against it. It sounds like something that could get triggered too easily for woods work. The amount of time it takes to pull a pin is not much and worth the extra security. I have replaced some of my evener bolts with hitch pins for a quick release and it only takes me two seconds to unhitch, Or you could use a hook, then you can just back the single tree off the sled quickly.

dominiquer60

Welcome Newbie!

I have a Morgan/Percheron cross, a fantastic little mare that rides and drives too. I second Jared’s thoughts, a hitch with a pin or hook are safe and very fast to change. Here is a photo of a little sled that we have. The chains attach underneath on both sides and meet at a hook in the middle. My single tree has a ring on it and easily slips onto the hook. The biggest thing to watch out for with a hook is to make sure it doesn’t slip off. I ask my mare to take a step and take the slack out before I ask her to move the load. This gives me a chance to see that the ring and hook are in the right place and prevents her from slamming into the load with her shoulders.

Have fun with your logging, we have some firewood to fetch ourselves.

Erika

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by dominiquer60.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.