Newly Self Employed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Baystatetom
    Participant

After 16 years as a salaried employee of Bay State Forestry Service I have decided to give self employment a try. There was numerous reasons for the decision but one of the big ones was they decided to ax my ox logging. I just couldn’t give it up. Its been a long two weeks so far started by organizing and turning over box after box of client files and info about ongoing jobs, then buying a new used truck and dealing with all the associated hassles. Now I am stuck with a little down time as I wait for permits and contracts to come back.
    So anyway if anybody in Western Massachusetts needs a consulting forester, I am your guy!
    ~Tom

KMichelle
    Participant

Good for you! But no more diesel credit?!

Rick Alger
    Participant

Best of luck.

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Good for you and good luck. I wish you could work in NH!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Tom, Keep us posted. I hope and believe the time is right for more restorative forestry. D

dominiquer60

Yes, we need more Toms, Carls, Johns, Brads, etc. I know down here in CT, we turn work away and can’t keep up with the couple ongoing jobs that we have. Plus to have more consulting foresters will only aid in customer (LO) education about what is possible with draft animals.

Give the “industry” hell and give the forests your best stewardship!

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Tom-
    How is the self-employed lifestyle treating you?
    -Brad

Baystatetom
    Participant

So far so good Brad. I have a few months work all lined up already. I think I was getting a little board with what I was doing and wasn’t as dedicated as I should have been. This change seams to have invigorated me and I am hitting the woods with passion again. Days like yesterday when the wind was howling and it was 10 degrees out I would have quit after a few hours but knowing I had to get it done to get paid I stayed out there 8 hours cruising timber on snowshoes. It seams my new boss is tougher on me then the last one.
    Now I just have to turn all those projects into a pay check!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.