Newsletter Working Group

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

I had a great conversation with Jim Ostergard yesterday afternoon. We have both agreed that we are willing and able to move forward with a newsletter.

In the current age, we have many tools in the toolbox for putting this together that are minimal/no cost and user friendly. There will be both an electronic and hardcopy version.

One of the largest hurdles we have heard mentioned is content. A caveat of receiving this newsletter and a component of (if not only) the price of an electronic subscription will be the requirement to submit a half-page on your operation and how you got to where you are. With all subscribers contributing, we should have more than enough content to fill up a quarterly newsletter. In addition, there undoubtedly will be articles written by those who wish to contribute as well. There is also a wealth of archived material out there that could potentially be republished with author/publishers permission.

In short, we have found many more reasons to publish a newsletter than not. Putting together bits ‘n pieces will not be a financial issue, as we will work with what we have. There are many of you that have real skills/knowledge with this type of effort. The main cost for this effort is time, something I have mentioned before that I currently can afford to a certain extent. Jim has generously offered to partner up as well. If everybody contributes a little (that includes subscribers with their half-page submissions) than the effort becomes less daunting. We have identified a couple of low/no expense desktop publishing options that could be used to assimilate the newsletter. I have a current avenue (google docs) that allows several users to work on a common project.

Let us know if you are interested in assisting with this project’s formation/launch. I will be putting together a conference call in a few weeks so that our working group can become somewhat task oriented and discuss the issues in real time. Anything worth anything takes a little effort, and the minimal effort it will take if we pool our resources will result in a product that is more than justified.

I’d really like to hear Gregg C., Joe M., and Tim C. weigh in with their thoughts. Not looking for commitment from you folks, more from the aspect of your contribution being specific insights since you have “been there, done that”.

I will be double posting on the Public DAPFI site as well to see what degree of interest and participation we might generate.

Take care,
    Scott

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

We are committed to helping this effort, will write about the FETCU meeting and other topics of common interest to support the new group. My general comment is that we are behind FETCU in some regards and we are without the support of our government in the U.S.

Glad to be home. More later,

~

Scott G
    Participant

Welcome back, Jason!

As an ambassador for us, I’m sure we were very well represented. This type of communication, networking, and fellowship can do nothing but further our efforts.

Are many of those folks bilingually fluent enough to transcribe/interpret articles from/to their native language to English? If so, that would result in powerful information for networking with a newsletter.

We only stand to gain by sharing information & techniques with our bretheren from overseas…

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

There are members of all these groups that speak English. I have emailed the fellow at Perfdstarke (sp) (German) asking for some better photos of the meeting if he would share them to accompany a small article about FETCU for the pubs.

It was amazing being the only American in the room, yet I never felt alone a single moment. The horsemen are awesome and about the same everywhere it seems.

I will keep us in touch with the group as best as possible.

More later,

Jason

Scott G
    Participant

Getting ready to start working on this. Still looking at the best, least expensive software format/program to initially put this together. Will pull MS Publisher off of my old ‘puter and see if it will run on Win07 unless any of you folks have a better alternative.

Jim O. and Jason you’re still on for being integrally involved with the “editorial & publishing board”. Any others interested in the nuts & bolts who would like to jump in don’t let me hold you back.

All others, this is a call for content. At a minimum, a few paragraphs on your operation and methods. Additional material would be very welcome as well.

One of my favorite aspects of the HLN was the “who’s doin” section. I think that sentiment is shared by many. Speaking of HLN, Gregg I know you are officially “retired” from the newsletter biz but you’re advisory insight would be invaluable.

I refuse to let this effort die…

Scott G
    Participant

I am going to post this on the public DAPFI site as well since response to this point has been N=0.

Theloggerswife
    Participant

Scott I am willing to help out in any way that I can. My husband is a diesel powered logger. Though he experiences many of the same hurdles that the animal powered loggers do. He is a small one man operation that battles with weather, no markets and expenses exceeding the income. Majority of his work is timber stand improvements. So, if you need me to provide market or insight from this point of view we can do that.

Scott G
    Participant

Thanks Missy,

Being someone that has come full circle I can definitely appreciate the mechanical side and everything that comes with it.

The reality is that logging is logging, it is just what means you use to achieve the end and what environmental benefits or degradation are the result of the show.

I actually think many aspiring horse loggers would benefit from working on a mechanical operation for awhile. In order to be a successful horse logger you need to be both experienced/good with horses and logging as well as understand the market and value added processes. Finding that combination of knowledge and experience is very rare.

Being that you are interested and/or using draft power has your husband ever contemplated integrating draft power into his operation?

It is becoming clear that we will be prying for content for the newletter effort. Seems a little odd with the full head of steam we had how it has now dropped off to almost zero.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Theloggerswife
    Participant

I would have to describe my husband, Derrick, as interested in the draft power, but reluctant. I would say the reluctant part is from the lack of knowledge of animals. He didn’t grow up on a farm. He has come a long way in the past 9 years when he uttered the words….”We will not own any animals on this farm.”

His first bulldozer came in pretty much a vast array of boxes. He put that bulldozer together and used it for years. We have a barn that houses chainsaw parts and pieces and he can rebuild pretty much anything. So his comfort level is with something with a motor!

When Derrick and I get together with the “draft group” he gets excited about the horses. His interest is peaked. His best friend, Ted, is my mentor with the draft horses. So all in all….Derrick is getting there. Slowly, but he is getting there.

We would be happy to participate…..just let us know what you need from us. Derrick LOVES to talk logging.

lancek
    Participant

but thats just it we need his prospective to round out our form from both sides of the story! Then we will convert him from the dark side to an enlighten state of forestry lol !!!

Theloggerswife
    Participant

One thing I might be able to speak from experience is that “feeling” a wife gets when her husband leaves for work alone in the woods. It doesn’t matter if they are horse or diesel loggers. The danger is the same! We kiss goodbye in the morning 7AM, with both of us leaving for our jobs off the farm. I will not know if he makes it out of the woods in one piece until 6 pm. Having lived through two horrible phone calls that my husband was in a logging accident is about all one wife can tolerate! He broke his neck from a widow maker and drove himself 3 miles to town the first time. The second time the log pile shifted and pinned his arm in the pile until someone showed up hours later.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.