Next step in training?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So, I’m not sure as to what my next step should be. As you might know, I have a 15 hand 1300# Clydesdale/Haflinger/Percheron cross. Dam was a registered Clyde. Sire was 3/4 Haflinger and 1/4 Percheron. I bought him last fall I believe September-ish? Anywho, I’m debating on the next step. I haven’t done much with him this past year. I’d hoped to be driving him a few months back, but some things came up.
    I have harnessed him (in my pleasure style harness) and done a ton of ground driving lessons in the safety of my round pen. Once we had a few lessons done, I ground drove him in my field as well as around my yard and out on the road. I have also “ponied” him along with my bomb proof trail horse. He’s been exposed to traffic and busier gravel roads now. I built a wooden travois (sp?) to get him used to pulling something and he didn’t have any issues even along the gravel with the noises it made. It also helped him get the “feel” of shafts alongside him. What should my next step be?
    My older neighbor (in his 80s who has raised and trained Belgians his whole life) suggested taking him down to his place. He wants to hook him up to a metal breaking cart to teach him to pull and work in the shafts. It sounds like he wanted to hook him up and drive a truck or something in front of him? Maybe to avoid him running off? He thought this way we’d get him started right, and if he fusses a little, it won’t break the holy holly out of my antique wooden cart that I’ve spent the last 3 months restoring (off and on as a rainy day project).
    My old 4H leader (when I was a kid) has 8 head of Clydes. She works them in a travois (like what I’ve done) and then puts them in an arena and slowly introduces them to the cart, then ground drives them with the cart. Eventually if all goes well, she hops in. What sounds like the best option?? He is a fairly mellow horse. I’ve hauled him along to horse shows and he is started under saddle, but still very green. I have ridden him in indoor and outdoor arenas. Both of these individuals have offered their help, and I know I can learn a ton from both of them, but more from my elderly neighbor. He farms with his drafts, which is eventually a goal of mine. He has a barn full of horse drawn equipment and still farms some of his land with his horses. Any opinions/ideas are appreciated!!

hucknme-3-1.jpg

IMG_0257-1.jpg

IMG_0250-1.jpg

I’d use both of their help and ideas……start with your neighbour

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Some where here there is an old thread that goes into the difference between these two approaches at some length. Here are some ways I would approach the question. Are you more interested in being the one that trains the horse, or having the horse so you can do some work? If you are the one to train the horse, you need to decide what training methods you believe in and why. (not to say you can’t change your mind – but it is good to believe in what you are doing). If not you just need to decide which of the offers to help is most likely to get the results you want. Who has the most time to actually help, etc.

Regardless of how many things you put in front of, behind and along side the object is to read the animal, How are they reacting? Are they learning? Are they settling in or getting worked up? My current motto is horses should be calm, relaxed and alert naturally. I aim to keep them that way through out their training and work experiences.

I prefer the least number of added equipment, as for me they take a way from my ability to focus on the animal. But that is just me and how I like to do it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys. In my own opinion, I think the more chaos going on around him the spookier he’ll be. I want it to be a pleasant and easy thing for him, so I’m thinking the breaking cart and truck is just a bit much for him. I’ll try and search for that thread you’d mentioned Donn. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.