Nose-ringing Bulls

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mstacy
    Participant

I’m picking up a bull calf soon (milking devon). Does anyone have here have opinions or suggestions to share regarding bull handling?

I’m particularly curious about your thoughts on the pros and cons of nose rings. Also any thoughts on how to ring a bull … age of animal? Hire a eterinarian? I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. Thanks.

Regards,

-Matt Stacy
    W. Topsham, VT

Carl Russell

Matt, We have raised several Jersey bulls over the years, and never have ringed them. I have had good luck with handling them with a rope halter, starting young. It’s important to take them seriously, because they are always unpredictable. I try to keep them off a bit, no loving etc., but approachable when fed, accepting a halter to be led, basically not letting them get wild. I’ve had good luck with being able to handle them with halter only. However, they never stayed much more than 2 years.(they keep easier in the freezer). Carl

Kristin
    Participant

Hi Matt –

We have ringed some of our Jersey bulls. We have our vet do it when he’s here for something else. It’s effective when you need a few more months of breeding time and the bull is starting to get snotty, usually around 18 – 24 months. He goes to the freezer as soon as everyone is bred. You may find no need for it with your devon, especially if you raise him as Carl has described, but keep your eyes peeled, especially as he gets older. I tell people here to treat the jersey bull like the ocean: don’t turn your back on him and never underestimate his power. And a good dog to watch your back doesn’t hurt.

-Kristin

pigpen
    Participant

devons are a mellow breed you should be able to just halter train him , our friends have some devons there bull never shows any agression, we have highlands there the same way real mellow our bull you can walk up and put a halter on him, any bull that starts actin goofy put him in the freezer

mstacy
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback pigpen. I’m quickly coming to agree with your assessment of the disposition of Devons. The bull calf that we plan to keep intact is a very sweet critter. We’re going to stick with the halter, do our best to socialize him, and hope for the best. The freezer is plan B.

We also have a Devon heifer and two more bulls destined to become working steers.

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone had ever used a ring staff? I have seen bulls with rings and know of several people that say to ring them if they are starting to get snotty, but how many people actually have a bull staff to make the ring an effective tool?

Howie
    Participant

All bulls and stallions are unpredictable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.