Objectives for the Working Group

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

Condensed from earlier discussion, simply put,
    1. to explore the development of an international association of draft animal timber harvesters.
    2. to explore options concerning outreach and education to members and others interested in harvesting timber and forestry using draft animals.

We should toss in ideas to help refine our mission here.

Carl

Scott G
    Participant

My idea would be to put 2 in front of 1…

#1) To explore feasibility, content, and implementation for the publication of a quarterly newsletter, both electronic & hardcopy, for Draft Animal Timber Harvesters on an international scale.

And based on the response from that effort…..

#2) Look at the feasibility, demand, and benefits for establishing a formal international association for Draft Powered Timber Harvesters.

In my mind there is already an apparent demand and desire for a networking format in the form of a newsletter. When/if that base builds, the subscribers will create the momentum for the much more detailed process of forming a formal organization.

More thoughts everyone???

Scott

Carl
    Carl has hit it on the head as to the mission. 1. to explore the development of an international association of draft animal timber harvesters.
    2. to explore options concerning outreach and education to members and others interested in harvesting timber and forestry using draft animals.
    keep our eye on the ball. it is easy to get side tracked. Taylor Johnson from WI. should be in on this. He is a full time horse logger.

This is true Scott but we need to find someone that has the time, energy, and money to produce the news letter. getting people to subscribe is easy and money will come in. Sustaining someone to do the newsletter is very hard. We were fortunate to have Glenn and Ester work on it for so long. I have not found a lot of horse loggers that like to write.
    Gregg Caudell was the exception when it came to writing.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

On the newsletter front, I am trying to figure out what it might take. I know from another life that one can figure about 40 hours for a simple 4-6 page 8 X 11 folded thing. Thats assuming some help with writing. Pagination is another thing. I’ve loads of experience with traditional paste up and for many years the best computer program for that also. Alas, the program is no longer made it has morphed into an Adobe product that goes for $700. I have started looking for a community organizing grant to maybe buy that, and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the dough. However, with a new (very old) log loader and pick up repairs and busted frame on horse trailer….how familiar does this sound?
    I will be happy to continue to look into the newsletter thing if folks would like me to. The adobe product will do web newsleters and PDF. I think I can get a demo version and if it is a morph of the old product the learning curve should be fast. If not well that is time to be swallowed if we get to that point. Would like to hear some simple ideas on content. Lets start a wish list of what we would like to have in it. Pictures, color, etc.
    I think we have a pretty good group going now. I know John Plowden when he gets back from the job in Mass. will be back on line. As to who qualifies I think its a little hard to say. I agree with Jason you do what you can when its in front of you. I’m using Rusty about a day a week on a couple of jobs, driving skidder and sheer a couple of more and making most of my money putting in a hiking/snowshoe trail down on the coast. Hard to find the time to get my own firewood in. However, I consider myself a full time logger.

john plowden
    Participant

I’m Just back from a week away – with out the computer – I’ll catch up with the goings on and add my two cents –
    John

Carl Russell

My own two cents are that I have a lot of interest in “connecting” with people involved with animal-powered forestry. I think that there is a lot to be gained. From my own experience, just finding a few other horse-loggers in my region was a big picker-upper, and I think we have all expressed similar sentiments.

For one, I see a lot of horse loggers who have a hard time making a go of it. Not from lack of skill, or drive, but because they are struggling in an industry controlled by mechanized customs.

Also I see a great opportunity for environmentally oriented folks to make real impact of sustaining the forest ecology, by taking advantage of the limitations of horses to practice a method of forestry that can be both more ecologically sound, and more profitable for practitioner AND landowner in the long run.

I would like to see this be an attempt to connect through association with practitioners on an international level to build a network of solidarity, and to develop a conduit to disseminate information that could advance the trade.

I also embrace the idea of a newsletter, as hard copy, to reach many people not on-line. However, this could be a huge undertaking. Perhaps the broad association could be a clearing house for pulses of important information that could be disseminated electronically to regional associations that have newsletters that are circulated more efficiently to members.

Before we make a lot more sense here on this forum, I think we need to develop a consensus on what our objective will be, so that we can filter all of our other discussions through it.

Carl

Rick Alger
    Participant

I believe the objectives of the group should include networking, but go beyond it.

The ultimate objective should be to improve the lot of the horse logger – better income, more work opportunities, some sort of future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.