Old Style Percherons

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kirsten Kosinski
    Participant

Good Afternoon.
    Just wondering if anybody out there breds the old style Percherons.
    Short and stocky. 15-16 HH.
    Thanks.
    Kirsten

Plowboy
    Participant

We have some that we have raised and our mares are all of the old type but the last stallion we used was sold this fall. Would like to find a nice blocky stallion for future use but don’t breed often so can’t justify one of our own. We are in central NY and all of the stallions I know of are hitchy or “modern” as it’s called now.

ngcmcn
    Participant

Kirsten,working on it. Waiting to see how my 2yr.old stud turns out. He’s out of a 16.2 dam, and stud from a long line of Percheron chunks. My mares are all16.2 but not super blocky. Where are you.

Neal maine>>>>>>>vt.

near horse
    Participant

Does anyone out there use AI to breed their mares, particularly if they’re looking for traits that are difficult to find – like “old style” Percherons? That could be a good way of keeping some bloodlines around that some folks desire but most don’t have access to or enough need to keep a stallion on hand. If I recall, horses are more challenging to breed that way than cattle but maybe I’m wrong.

BTW – if you’re interested in horse/mule reproduction information, advice or assistance etc – try contacting Dirk Vanderwall at Penn State. He’s a friend of mine that used to work at the University of Idaho (cloned the first mule – but don’t hold that against him) – a great guy, helpful and incredibly knowledgable about equine reproduction.

That said – I posted pictures of some chunk Perchs from the plowing events last spring but I don’t know if they’ve got a stallion – I don’t think so but I’ll ask.

simon lenihan
    Participant

old fashioned percherons on this side of the pond usually go for meat, saw one recently that was rescued from the meat man, stood 15.2hh and must have weighed 1700 lb, had a tremendous front on him, great feet and overall confirmation was as near perfect as you could get. This was one of the lucky ones.
    simon lenihan

TaylorJohnson
    Participant

Tim Carrol has a pair or mares that should be breed . The black mare is about as smart as a horse can be and is stocky to boot . She can flat-out pull when need be also , her name is Rose. Sugar is a good mare also but Rose is just what a person would want looking for an old style percherons . I like the old style percherons a lot , you see less and less of them though. Taylor Johnson

416Jonny
    Participant

Now, I’m kind of wondering what you mean by “old style” Percheron. My family kept and bred Percherons up untill they got what I believe is a Rumley Oil-Pull tractor in the early teens. I’ll try to find the photo, but one of the earliest photos taken on the farm, a rather distant relative of mine is holding onto a team of Percherons that I swear couldn’t be any bigger than a tall Morgan. I know that draft horses have grown quite a bit in pretty recent history, (if the most modern Percheron breeding for the show circuit is any indication) but how far back are we talking?

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Geoff,

We offer A.I. on our Suffolk stallion through a local company (http://www.roanokeai.com) that has been doing that work of collection and shipment for many years. We haven’t had any takers to date, but get several phone calls and emails about it annually. It is more expensive than a live cover, but with the Suffolk they are spread out all over the continent so there is not always a stallion available. Having a good work mare that doesn’t get to raise a foal or two seems a waste regardless of breed. On the other hand there are more draft horses out there now than people with enough culture to work them, so I wouldn’t breed a mare unless we had a need for the foal. They all grow old and can’t work eventually, so replacing themselves seems like an incredible advantage to the culture of animal husbandry.

~

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.