Older mare training

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eli
    Participant

I have two curly mares one is 6 and green broke to ride the other is 17 and was a brood mare for years. My question is can the older horse be trained to do light farm work or is it to late. People are telling not to bother with the older horse. Both horses are 15+ hands and 1300+lbs I thought they would make a nice team. Thanks Eli

carl ny
    Participant

my son taught his Belgian stud to drive at 14, before that he was only used for breeding. Probably depends on temperament. JMHO

carl ny

Eli
    Participant

She is pretty easy going this horse once belonged to joe mead(curly breeder from montana) and is rumored to have been under harness before but has been a brood mare for 10 years or so. She rides but is pregnant and ready to foal any time so we haven’t done much with her lately but as soon as the foal is old enough we will start working with Tenake. To find out what she knows. Thank you for your reply

fogish
    Participant

According to a recent study with horses they are able to remember things for over 10 years. The study was geared more towards how horses behave towards an individual and people in general depending on how they are treated a single time and overall. I know after 2+ years my horse recognized the box I kept his harness in. I’m ashamed to say he ran for the other side of his paddock when I pulled it out of the van during moving. Thankfully he stood to be harnessed when I was ready to use it but starting over was humbling.

oldcowboy
    Participant

I have started two older mares in the last 3 months. Belgiam is 11 and had never been drove or rode, but was very gentle. The other is a percheron cross. She is 7 and has never been drove either. I have them both plowing now and they are doing fair. Older horses arent much harder to train than a young horse. Main thing I have problems with is how previous owners have spoiled, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.