Ox Collars

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Crabapple Farm
    Participant

Yes, yes, Neil. We all know that your way is the best way.
    Funny thing is, I know half a dozen old timers all feel the same way, and they each do things different (from you and each other).
    I won’t knock your experience, but I also know that you weren’t the first to try putting a collar on an ox, and most folks with oxen use yokes. Folks up in Nova Scotia swear by head yokes, around here it’s all neck yokes. I’ve heard that in pulling competitions, the Mainers and the Nova Scotians come out pretty even. As long as it is well designed, properly fitted, and well used, seems like there’s more than one way to do it that works.

We aren’t running down the way you do things, Neil, we’re just running down the notion that your way of doing things is the only best way. Your situation is different than mine, different animals, different work, different equipment, different teamster, different terrain. (I know Carl’s already said that in different words, so I’ll leave it at that).
    -Tevis

Neil Dimmock
    Participant

@Crabapple Farm 2215 wrote:

Yes, yes, Neil. We all know that your way is the best way.
    Funny thing is, I know half a dozen old timers all feel the same way, and they each do things different (from you and each other).
    I won’t knock your experience, but I also know that you weren’t the first to try putting a collar on an ox, and most folks with oxen use yokes. Folks up in Nova Scotia swear by head yokes, around here it’s all neck yokes. I’ve heard that in pulling competitions, the Mainers and the Nova Scotians come out pretty even. As long as it is well designed, properly fitted, and well used, seems like there’s more than one way to do it that works.

We aren’t running down the way you do things, Neil, we’re just running down the notion that your way of doing things is the only best way. Your situation is different than mine, different animals, different work, different equipment, different teamster, different terrain. (I know Carl’s already said that in different words, so I’ll leave it at that).
    -Tevis

See!! just what I mean, If you got something to say don’t hide behind some else, I think the pics I have posted prove the point about which was used most!! how about trying it. then you will have an opinion!!
    Neil

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.