Ox Logging: After the Emerald Ash Borer

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Forestry Ox Logging: After the Emerald Ash Borer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I put this short video together to show folks what they can expect to see if the Emerald Ash Borer attacks woodlands in your area.

[video=youtube_share;xtXrfXNdwcM]http://youtu.be/xtXrfXNdwcM[/video]

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Thanks Tim – very informative. No evidence of EAB here in northern Vermont yet, but it seems inevitable. Are you able to sell logs after EAB damage or is it all firewood? What is the ash market like in your area?

George

Pete Jesse
    Participant

Excellent video on another imported and devastating bug. We do not have the bore yet, a few counties away. I am watching my ash trying to decide if I should cut them now or wait and see what happens. My forester and a local mill says best to wait and see.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

George, you can sell the logs but as you can imagine the market is flooded. Last I checked the average stumpage for ash was about $125/mbf. At this point it is probably best if you can saw it up and use it on site, and it is one of the best fire woods there are. What is a good snag worth?

Marshall
    Participant

I have about a half acre of ash trees in front of my house. The bug started showing up last year. I have started cutting them and hope to finish this coming winter. Its going to look awful bare for awhile but I should get a few years worth of heat out of them. Next will be to talk to the neighbor with about 15 acres of woods behind me. There are several ash trees there also.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

The up side is it splits nice and burns hot.

Marshall
    Participant

@Tim Harrigan 36127 wrote:

The up side is it splits nice and burns hot.

Dries quick too! By the way, excellent video!

Baystatetom
    Participant

Another great video Tim! Is it okay to email the link to some of my clients? Just heartbreaking to think of all the pests damaging our forest. We in southern New England are getting hit hard by the hemlock wooly adelgid already and the emerald ash borer is looming.
    ~Tom

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

@Baystatetom 36142 wrote:

Another great video Tim! Is it okay to email the link to some of my clients? ~Tom

Sure, no problem. It is for educational use, the more folks that benefit the better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.