Ox logging, cross haul stacking

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Ox logging, cross haul stacking

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Harrigan
    Participant

For some time now I have thought that we needed to expand our options for developing tools and educational content that helps others understand what we do. Many times we have struggled with words to convey techniques that quickly become clear with a picture, and I would like to see more use of videos to help in this regard. So I took my flip video camera with me a few weeks ago and then again yesterday to record some of the work I was doing to skid some firewood up and then cross hauling to pile it. You can see it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTB2xKOoVu8

The incentive for this work was the discussion that we had some time ago about using cross hauling or parbuckling to load wagons for hauling out logs. I hope that DAP-net can build a library of videos that we can refer to when questions come up. It takes a little extra work, but I think we all need to take responsibility for contributing to the education of the community where and when we can.

dominiquer60

Great video Tim,
    These are the type of things that should be collected in one place like DAPNet. As we progress as an organization and gain some additional active help, this is the type of educational tool that will be wonderful to have in a draft animal library.
    Erika

Rick Alger
    Participant

Well done. Good quality video.

OldKat
    Participant

Wow! Very nicely done video; one of the best I have seen of people using animals in work situations. Nicely narrated and the work was explained very well. I am impressed with the effort. You are not just messing around cutting your fire wood either, quite a bit down already.

BTW: I have been sitting here catching up on posts that I hadn’t read and I have my little girlfriend, Xena, the miniature Dachshund camped out in her usual place when I am in my recliner and using my laptop … right on my lap. When your video started playing she jumped up and sat right in front of the screen watching intently. As your guys were working she kept whining and tilting her head side to side with her nose just mere inches from the screen. I have never seen her show much, if any, interest in any videos that I have been watching. Guess she liked this one, too!

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Maybe I am targeting the wrong audience.

jac
    Participant

Hey Tim that was great to see and a really effective tool for education. As Erika says a place on here for videos like this would be awesome… thanks again…
    John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant
    jac;26749 wrote:
    …As Erika says a place on here for videos like this would be awesome… thanks again…

Here is a link to a video that I really like from John Plowden’s web site. I particularly like the part where he pulls down a hang up with his team.

http://www.plowdenhorselogging.com/2010/11/video.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.