oxen apprenticeships?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations oxen apprenticeships?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

does anybody know of a farm or working situation that would teach oxen driving? i’m new and have no experience, but i’ve been working on farms for several years now and would like someday to farm using animal power. i’m looking for an internship or job next year, in 2009, or later this year in the winter. if anybody could point me in the right direction to learn more about oxen driving i’d be very glad. thanks so much

Carl Russell

Elizabeth, I’m not sure where you are, but you may get a good start on your search if you contact Tim Huppe, or Colin Cabot at Sanborn Mils Farm in Loudon NH. 603-435-7314 or colin@sanbornmills.org

Check out the calendar on this site, as they are offering a beginning with oxen workshop soon, and may be a good way to get acquainted. I think they have been working with some apprentices lately. Good luck, Carl.

Carl Russell

Also, contact Rob Flory at Howell Farm. Rob is a regular contributor to this site, and can be contacted through the member list. Carl

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

We take apprentices on our farm and have a team of oxen as well as a draft horse. We are slowly transitioning over from tractor to animal power, not all there yet, but hoping to do more and more with the animals as time goes on. We do a bit of everything here, so an apprenticeship with us wouldn’t be focussed solely on oxen or the horse, but they are a piece of what we do.
    I apprenticed with Rob, so can vouch for that being a good place to learn too.
    I think Tillers International also may take apprentices.
    -Tevis
    crabapplefarm@verizon.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.