Oxen shoeing stock/sling design

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Oxen shoeing stock/sling design

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Carson

I have decided to build a shoeing stock/sling for my oxen as a winter project. I need to be able to get at thier feet for trimming and I think it would be a generally useful thing to have around. I can find lots of photos of different designs, but they are missing several important measurements.

I want to build this to be useful for medium sized oxen (Shorthorn/Jersey or Devon/Shorthorn/Ayrshire) of various ages. I plan on using a fairly standard “4 uprights” design with a floor underneath, and beams on top. Can anyone tell me how far apart should I space the verticle beams (IE how wide should the floor be)? Also, how long should the floor be?

Also, I am curious about what types of systems people like to hold the head. I have seen designs where the ox is free, where the ox is held in a stanchion, where the ox is in a halter and tied, and even designs where the ox is in a head yoke that is fixed to the stocks. Does anyone like any system over any other and if so, why?

Lastly, I see different systems for holding the feet to enable trimming. Most systems I see use a sling or two to allow the ox to be more comfortable with a foot in the air. I assume this is a good thing to build in?? As far as holding the feet up, I see some systems simply hoist the feet up and anchor them in the air using a rope, chain, or strap. This seems easy and simple, but I wonder about kicking. Other systems tie the oxens feet directly to horizontal or angled wooden beams built into the stocks (as in horse stocks). This seems like it would prevent kicking but might mean the stocks would only “fit” adult oxen of a particular size, and might be less useful for young or especially large or small animals. Again, please let me know if you prefer one type or another and why.

Thankf for any thoughts!

Droverone
    Participant

The slings at Ross farm museum, in nova scotia are very simply utilitarian and the best old style s so I would try and get pictures of those. I have a set based on bud kluchniks design, and I like them, but with steel the price it is today I would not build another set out of steel.

Andy Carson

Could you share the dimensions on your stocks? In “A teamsters guide” Conroy draws a rough schematic of stocks, but it doesn’t have dimensions. It just says “A shoeing stock needed for a dexter is vastly different in size from one needed for a mature chianina.” I just need an “average” size (if such a thing exists), as I only have plans to keep oxen that are “average” sized.

Oxhill
    Participant

If only you knew an old man who has plans for a shoeing frame squirreled away someplace! 😉

Droverone
    Participant

Andy, your not playing fair, although your closer to his hiding place then the rest of us are!
    Bet your glad to be home!

And I have pictures of Ross farms stocks, they were shoeing there the day I was there visiting with the blacksmith.

Carl Russell

I also have a detailed schematic drawn by Les Barden….. I could try to scan it in, and share is as a PDF…… I’ll have to dig it up first….. now where did I last see it????? :rolleyes:

Carl

dominiquer60

“This seems like it would prevent kicking but might mean the stocks would only “fit” adult oxen of a particular size, and might be less useful for young or especially large or small animals.”

Stocks seem useful for shoeing any bovine and trimming unruly feet or animals, but for young animals handled from a young age to lift their feet stocks are not necessary.

I can see that you would want stock for your older team, but if you start young steers lifting their feet at as young an age possible, taking a rasp to them every 4 to 8 weeks is no problem. My steers let me lift feet anywhere at any random time, they are a pleasure to work with, I made lifting their feet part of our daily routine the day that I brought them home.

Best of luck finding the right size for your stocks, sorry that I am not much of a help with your quest for “average” 🙂

Baystatetom
    Participant

There is one guy around here who trims and shoes a huge number of oxen. So far as I know he has one set of stocks, or one stock however you say it. I would presume that one size pretty much works for all. His has blocks of wood that can be moved along the frame that he straps the foot to so he can work on them. It has been so long since I have seen it I can’t remember the details, but I think I might have him shoe mine this winter so I’ll get some pictures eventually.
    ~Tom

oxman
    Participant

Hello, I am the blacksmith Droverone is talking about. If you contact me directly I will help you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.