Packing Concrete in the Rockies with Mules

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Packing Concrete in the Rockies with Mules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

Here is a picture of my friend Tim Resch (Elk Guide) with a string of 18 mules hauling 2000 pounds of concrete up to Chasam Lake cabin.

Carl

167411_1769007023163_1178822460_32172299_3658039_n.jpg

lancek
    Participant

He missed out that so pose too be a 20 mule train ! Eather way great pick is he building a cabin or are they doing some sort of rehab for the government?

Carl Russell

Contract work for USFS.

near horse
    Participant

It sure is amazing what those mules will haul – I imagine you’ve seen the video (was on RH television) of the mules w/ snowshoes carrying the US mail (in the Sierra Mtns of N. Cal). That same video even had pics of one carrying a casket and another, an engine block. 😮

Nice pic Carl –

jac
    Participant

A great picture sure enough Carl. I remember reading about how the mule trains that were hauling dynamite in rocky areas were fitted with bronze shoes.. Seems some archeologist had found a bronze shoe at a dig and wondered if it could be off an emperors horse mabey.. burst his bubble when he was told the real reason ..
    John

Jim Garvin
    Participant

I’d be concerned that the concrete would set up before the mules were able to deliver it….must have used some slow-setting admixtures to it!!

Here are a couple of pictures I took back in 2009, in Death Valley, of the 20-mule team Borax operations. How many people here remember watching “Death Valley Days”? Be careful….you’re dating yourselves!!

with bronze shoes

:confused: no sparks? no sparks because dynamite leaks nitroglycerin in rainspells, collecting in puddles + being extremely unstable??

Carl Russell
    Jim Garvin;23376 wrote:
    I’d be concerned that the concrete would set up before the mules were able to deliver it….must have used some slow-setting admixtures to it!! ….

Hauling dry:D

Carl

mitchmaine
    Participant

@Jim Garvin 23376 wrote:

I’d be concerned that the concrete would set up before the mules were able to deliver it….must have used some slow-setting admixtures to it!!

Here are a couple of pictures I took back in 2009, in Death Valley, of the 20-mule team Borax operations. How many people here remember watching “Death Valley Days”? Be careful….you’re dating yourselves!!

my mom sent away some soapbox tops and got me a plastic model of the twenty mule team. it sat on the bookshelf by my bed till i left home. the animals all had names as well as the driver, boraxo bill, who rode one of the wheelers. the wheel team were horses and 18 mules.
    i believed everything the old ranger told me.

mitch

near horse
    Participant

They still mine borax just west of Death Valley near a place called Trona -might as well be Death Valley. DV is someplace you’ve got to see to believe – Devil’s Golf Course, Dante’s Palette, old beehive charcoal kilns (and some feral burros) …. pretty neat.

jac
    Participant

Charlie it may have been gunpowder:o was a long time ago I read it but it was definaitly to do with sparks and big bangs:D..
    John

XLmules
    Participant

Carl, great pictures of my favorite hybrid! Looks like everything went pretty smoothly:-)

near horse
    Participant

Just a thought and not to “split hairs” but do you think they were hauling concrete or actually just Portland cement? Seems like there’s plenty of aggregate around there that there should be no reason to carry it as a premix. Does that make sense? Still just as heavy.

Carl Russell
    near horse;23423 wrote:
    Just a thought and not to “split hairs” but do you think they were hauling concrete or actually just Portland cement? Seems like there’s plenty of aggregate around there that there should be no reason to carry it as a premix. Does that make sense? Still just as heavy.

I’m not sure….. he doesn’t take on the projects, just contracts with USFS to pack materials in.

Carl

Andy Carson

My grandpa worked with his dad to build fire lookouts in the wilderness of central Idaho many years ago. They hauled everything back and forth on mules too. I imagine it looked alot like this, although they only had four mules in thier train. I always thought that sounded like a fun project. I imagine it really gives you an opportunity to be resourceful when the trip to town is so long. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.