Pasture Management: "Sacrifice Area"?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming Pasture Management: "Sacrifice Area"?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Full Circus Farm
    Participant

I was wondering whether folks choose to give your animals a smaller “sacrifice area” for the winter/early spring vs a larger area where they hopefully won’t have such a concentrated impact? Which do you lean towards and why?
    Cheers,
    Miriam

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Miriam, That is a great question and it can be challenging as well. There are so many variables. Just some of the variables that folks consider are; How many horses; soil types; acreage available; Time available to do daily chores.

I personally like a program that varies with the weather, seasons and work load. This may take more planning and work than a plan that turns horses in and out the same way everyday of the year, but it will allow the best balance between how the horses will impact the areas around my barn and farm with how turn out will will benefit the horses with exercise and pasture grazing.

The main way I use a “sacrifice” paddock is in periods where I will not be home for several days and I believe the weather permits them to stay out.

In bad weather, heavy rain any time, or rain or snow in the spring, fall or winter, I prefer to not turn my horses out in “sacrifice” paddocks at all. The best sacrifice paddock for the horses would be large where they would not be subjected to the mud they created or their own manure. of course this is not the best sacrifice paddock for your farm’s environment. the problem with a smaller sacrifice paddock is it can be worse for the horses. Mixing concentrated manure with mud and gravel is worse for the animal than standing in mud alone. It won’t always but can lead to increased number of hoof abcesses, gravels, and parasites.

You can see how this led me to want a flexible system where I could move the animals each day based on what would be best for them and the land. Of course this takes the most time and effort. After several years I added the small concrete pad that I now have out side the horses run in area. This area gives me the ability to leave horses and mules right there, loose; in the worst weather. Of course it is a long term project to add areas like that.

I always have plans of how I will continue to improve my manure and waste handling to increase the nutrients returned to the land and minimize the nutrients lost in run off.

Lots to consider.

dlskidmore
    Participant

I like to move mine frequently in the spring. We raise grain/soy free lamb, and we really need that early spring grass to support pregnancy and lactation, so we can’t just keep them close and feed lower quality hay. Moving them frequently reduces trampling problems.

Likewise in fall I’m flushing, so I save a pasture of stockpiled forage for that if I can. If they beat it up too much that pasture will get a rest in the spring.

In the bitter parts of winter the animals are in the barn on deep bedding. Our snow drifts high enough the critters could walk right over the fences if so inclined.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.