percheron/morgans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I just talked to a friend, a retired dairy farmer in Central New York, Who almost always has a couple of horses for sale. I have helped start horses to work for him in the past and he always has nice animals.
    He has a pair of three and four year old Percheron/Morgan cross horses that he would like to sell. one mare, one gelding, they will probably be 1500# full grown. They have had some training, and at least one spent some time on an amish farm last summer. Probably not the horses for a truely green teamster, but good prospects some of the more experienced folks out there. I could get more info, make a contact, or try and get pictures for anyone interested. Donn

Plowboy
    Participant

Sounds like a real good all around team. I have used some crossbred teams in the past and pound for pound they usually give their all and then some. Hybrid vigor I guess. We are currently at maximum occupancy in our 8 stall barn but they sound like good prospects. Hope they find a good home.

Val
    Participant

I’m watching the buy/sell discussion thread with great interest as I’m in the market for my first farm team. I’m definitely a green teamster, so this young team is not for me, but I’ll continue to watch. I live in Ontario, about an hour NW of Toronto, so parts of NY, Mich, Ohio, Penn might be close enough for me if it was for the right team.

Can anyone give me an idea of how expensive and how much of a hassle it would be to bring a team across the border? Ideally, I’ll find a team locally, but experienced farm teams don’t seem to come up very often up here, and the “word of mouth” advantage that this virtual community provides is more appealing than buying a team from just “anyone”. Thanks a lot for all the great input this discussion forum provides!

Val

James
    Participant

Having Taken freight and Meat into Canada as well as back south. I found out to Import into Canada you will need the Horses Vet certifacte As well as All paperwork in order. You might want to talk to the Folks at the border Crossing as to the Papers you need.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Well, I made a really dumb mistake. My friend that has Percheron/Morgans for sale actually has four, but the ones he wants to sell are 1 and 2, not the 3 and 4 year olds. We talked about all the horses so much that I must have gotten confused about what was for sale. They are still nice horses I believe and not started in training at all. Sorry, Donn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.