pigs pulling carts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    countryboy
    Participant

has anyone herd of pigs pulling carts?

Patrick
    Participant

I’m all for the unusual; llamas, camels, goats, dogs, as long as the animal can reasonably be expected to be trained to do something useful, but please, let’s not be ridiculous.

but please, let’s not be ridiculous

hmmm……
    there are ancient myths in Germany about 2 pigs that were used to pull the carts of/were being ridden by Norse God/Godess Freya and Freyr
    http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Freyr_art.jpg&filetimestamp=20050731170559
    and it seems in ancient Egypt they were used to plow the fields; they were cherished for the depth of their tracks was the very depth required for sowing corn/grain
    not quite so long ago, sows were ridden by the “porcine shepherds” on their way out into the woods and back home
    pigs are clever and smart, to say the least

sanhestar
    Participant

Hello,

anybody remember the movie “Willow”? The small people plowed with pigs – ok, fantasy movie….

goodcompanion
    Participant

As the saying goes,

“Don’t try to teach a pig to pull a cart. It won’t work. It will waste your time and annoy the pig.”

countryboy
    Participant

i found this website with a picture.

http://www.messybeast.com/history/working.htm

LStone
    Participant

Well a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess someone has heard of it including all of us now. Good job of research there CountryBoy.

Good luck,
    LStone

Patrick
    Participant

All well and good for purposes of a cute photo op, or simply to attract attention, but, as smart as pigs are, is anyone going to really train them to work and do what the owner wants, when he wants it, without stopping to root or eat every litttle thing that he likes? Possible, maybe. Practical, I don’t think so.

sanhestar
    Participant

@Patrick 10849 wrote:

is anyone going to really train them to work and do what the owner wants, when he wants it, without stopping to root or eat every litttle thing that he likes? Possible, maybe. Practical, I don’t think so.

because they are smart, you can train them. I don’t have the book any more, it’s about a German drug-sniffing dog trainer who got a young wild sow – Luise in 1984. He trained her to become a drug sow to sniff out marihuana, heroin and cocaine and later she became an explosive and cadaver search sow. He worked for years with her for the police and kept Luise for 14 years.

http://www.myheimat.de/lehrte/?page=mediadb%2Fmediadb_popup.php&pic_id=374059&doc_id=73228&setview=popup

bivol
    Participant

why not?

domestic pigs are big heavy and, yes, strong, but when fully grown, i don’t think they have the enthusiasm to pull carts. also, young pigs put to work could injure their skeletons.
    maybe a cross between a wild pig and a lean domestic one would produce a desired energy while mellowing the temper.

Patrick
    Participant

Sabine, pigs have long been used to sniff out truffles in France, but expecting them to be compliant enough to be used for other work is a stretch, IMO. Bivol, reasonable speculation. Try it, and let us know how you do. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong if it works out for you.

mother katherine
    Participant

Once upon a time I came across a site where the people had trained a ram to pull a cart. I can’t seem to find it again.
    Has anyone ever heard of, or know where I could find this kind of information?
    oxnun

sanhestar
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve seen a few pictures of large sheep and/or rams resp. wether pulling carts.

I would try google picture search.

bivol
    Participant

pigs were learned (actually learned themselves) to herd cattle.
    the vid is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc0fY3BstdU

Pete
    Participant

Country Boy if you email me i have a pic of a pair of big red pig’s pulling a wagon at a fair in Midland Ontario back in 1964.I tried posting a pic here & was unable to. pfleming7@sympatico.ca

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.