Pigs to control Squash Bugs???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

I had a bad year with Squash bugs. Lost most of my crop of squash, pumpkins, pickles and watermelon to them. Luckily I co-planted a sweet potato crop in the same location which took over and did well. Since this is my main garden plot, I am working out an organic solution for next year. The Adult bugs will surely make it through the winter in my compost pile nearby. And even if I do not plant squash, they were so heavy this year, they impacted my nearby Brassicas as well. So I was considering starting my piglets in the garden next spring. Does anyone know if they would have any impact directly or indirectly on these pests?

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Interesting question.
    My down & dirty research (http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg/leaf/squash_bug.htm) shows they overwinter as adults more or less in place in the soil. Do you have mature pigs you could turn in now for a bit to disrupt them? Then maybe buy early piglets and get them on the plot in early April till you are ready to plant. The fresh manure would effect cleanliness of root crops.
    Mark

Baystatetom
    Participant

I might be mistaken but I think there is some sort of nematode you can by and put down in the garden that will control them. I plant about 1 1/2 acres of pumpkins but this year I just seeded it to grass because squash bugs and cucumber beetles were so bad last year. Luckily I was able to plant another field a good distance away.
    ~Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ducks will do the trick. If you dont want any ducks then just borrow some from a neighbor for a couple days a month. I let mine in the garden for the afternoon and when they start eating veggies I kick em back out. always worked for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.