Pitman shaft replacement

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Pitman shaft replacement

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

A funny thing happened after I was all set to replace a pitman shaft today. It turned out that the brand new one had the exact same play at the bushing as the one I was considering taking out. I guess I didn’t need to. Here are a few photo’s of how I got a broken shaft out of the pinion gear by Welding a handle on it. I then used a press to push out an old shaft and push in a new one. Now this flywheel is ready for another mower.

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

Hey Donn,I don’t know if you shipped that mower yet but i saw in Lynn Millers mower book that he says definetively that a no 9 weighs up to 700 lbs.depending on cutter bar length so i assume that figure is for a 6 foot bar.

Tom Coughlin
    Participant

also i just got back a rebent coupling bar for my mower, any suggestions on how far i should thread it on, as a starting point to adj. lead and timing . thanks, Tom

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I start by threading them in till they are flush on the end of the hinge. that is just a starting point. Everyone has their own method of proceeding from there, but mine relies on carefully keeping the pitman stick square to the flywheel each time I put it together if I take it out to turn the threads. Tom, feel free to give me a call if it starts giving you trouble. D

Jay
    Participant

Ditto Donn on start with the end of the push bar flush with the end of the hinge and then go from there. Jay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.