Plow Clinic With Sam Rich April 25th

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events Plow Clinic With Sam Rich April 25th

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

DAPNet is pleased to once again match up aspiring teamsters with the mentorship of Sam Rich and Erika Marczak in the quiet corner of Connecticut.
    This is a bring your own team event, with room for auditors, an the chance to tune up your plow Fri night if need be. (Make sure to call ahead to discuss the plow if so.)

Same is a former National Walking Plow Champion, and won the 2014 World Champion Percheron Farm Team award at the World Percheron Congress. This is a great learning opportunity for all.

LongViewFarm
    Participant

It looks like I am unable to upload more info and registration files. I will look into that and post those documents soon.

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Here is the flier, more info, and the registration form.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

We really want to encourage folks to come and audit too. There is a lot to learn just by watching. There may also be a chance for auditors to take the handles of a walking plow behind a pair of oxen.

Speaking of Oxen, this event is open to teamsters of all equines and bovines. Sam was a serious Ox teamster in his youth and would love to pass on plowing skills and pointers on handling working cattle.

This event will be held in a working market garden, teamsters will be challenged with, and taught how to handle rocks, ledge, crop trash, opening land and finishing a land. We will work with each teamster individually to help them get the best out of their plow and animal(s). Call us for more information, and if you plan on coming with animals and plow, call us ahead so that we can help you be prepared to make the most of your time with us.

Erika
    (5one8) 44one-987o

Will Stephens
    Participant

I would love to audit. Can auditors come Friday for some nuts and bolts time? I don’t own a plow yet but there is nothing like working on them to learn how to shop for them.

dominiquer60

Will we would love to have you. Auditors/Teamsters that bring a dish to pass and are paying for Saturday are welcome Friday after 3pm. We have endless space for rough camping (tent or any vehicle), a hay loft, and a sugar house to choose from. If we don’t get any participants that bring a plow, we will use something from our own collection as a talking point Friday. At the moment we are hoping that we don’t have to use the May rain date as a snow date, some of our big piles are going to be around for a while :). Thankfully we have many acres to choose from.

dominiquer60

Here is what past participants have to say:

“I found Sam’s plowing clinic to be extremely useful/helpful for me and my horses. I had enough experience already to be able to absorb Sam and Erika’s pointers and info without having to focus on how to drive. I brought a plow that needed new handles and we set it up properly, then we went out and worked on hitching up correctly and then plowing. I learned so much. It was great!!! All of us can learn and improve our own skill from concentrated time with other teamsters who have specialized in a particular area of skill. (An old dog can learn new tricks!)” Jay Bailey 2013 DAPNet Plow Clinic

“Though it wasn’t simple to get my horses, plow, and myself to the clinic, it was work well worth doing. I was not aware of just how much work my old Oliver 23 two way plow needed, so much of the time was dedicated in the shop to shoring up the wheels to minimize play, laying out the beams and shares the correct distances, and getting everything moving smoothly. I went home with a brand new plow! Though Sam is immensely skilled in the shop, I would recommend getting your plow in great shape yourself as the time spent in the field was invaluable. Seeing the possibilities of a calm quiet team and well adjusted plow guided by a skilled teamster while watching Sam plow was inspiring. Having the chance to take my hand at it with his guidance opened up the possibilities in myself. Working with the process of observation of the team, the plow, and myself and then making one small adjustment at a time, with wise feedback and guidance, helped foster new capabilities in myself and my team that I still carry in my work. Besides the gifts that Sam shared, the community experience was wonderful and everyone had something to share, whether it be a simple pointer or suggestion about working with the horses or equipment or great conversation, a meal, or a song. The hospitality was very warm and welcoming. The different types of plows, horses, and people represented was diverse and also quite educational, as there is no one way to do it. Even if you can’t get your own team and plow out there, if you do any plowing and want to know a bit more and perhaps improve your skills I recommend attending.”

– Anthony Mecca 2012 DAPNet Plow Clinic

dominiquer60

The DAPNet Plow Clinic registration deadline has been extended to April 15th. We have a 3 abreast of mules, 3 pairs of Oxen, and a pair of horses registered, plus a few plows both sulky and walking types. Most folks plan on arriving Friday afternoon to spend time in the shop trouble shooting and making repairs and adjustments. We will be inviting a few of Sam’s mentors to come Friday for shop time and Potluck supper, be prepared for some quality social time. We still need a few more folks to register in order to be able to cover our costs, so please register ASAP if you plan on coming. There are plenty of free camping situations, tents, vehicles, campers (no hook ups), hay loft or sugar house. We hope to see you in Abington!

dominiquer60

It should be a great weekend for out DAPNet Plow Clinic. We have plenty of room for anyone wanting to join us last minute.

Also, due measures beyond their control, one of our DAPNet Plow Clinic Teamsters can not come this weekend. They are donating their payed place to another teamster. It is last minute, but if you would like to bring your plow and team to our Plow Clinic, this coming weekend, please let me know ASAP. If we cannot find a teamster, the funds donated will cover the auditor fee for 4 people. We will give preference to students and farmer types first. For more details check out our events page, let me know if you are interested. http://flofarm.org/dap/events/

Erika Marczak

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.