plowing a community garden with animals

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming plowing a community garden with animals

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    becorson
    Participant

I wasn’t sure where this announcement belongs best….
    are there any people with draft animals in the Mid-Atlantic area who might want to do some plowing at a community gardens project?

This is a 8-9 acre plot of fairly good soil, at the northern edge of the city of Harrisburg in Pa. The land it is used each season for residents of the city of harrisburg to grow their own vegetables.

usually the County park system has it plowed in the late fall or early spring with conventional tractors but this year there was apparently some interest in using a more sustainable, alternative method. knowing that i am interested in draft animals, they (the park administrators) contacted me to see if i would be interested. i have two smallish mares and a single ox and a 10 inch Oliver walking plow, so i told them i could maybe do 1/3 of an acre per weekend –but at that rate, it would take me a long time to plow 9 acres by myself!
    so i just wondered if there would be any interest in making a community event out of it. doesn’t hurt to ask, i guess.

Carl Russell

Sounds like a great opportunity to form a small local Draft Club. Carl

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.